Author Topic: Draw Length  (Read 2311 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Draw Length
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »
When it comes to draw length do you measure from the inside of the knock to the belly (handle) or to the back (outside) of the bow?
Is this the measurement written on the bow as I am confused by the AMO standard which assumes the bow is 1 3/4 inches thick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Draw Length
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 04:17:23 pm »
I always measure draw length from inside the nock to the back of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:42:22 pm »

I'am not doubting you Pat,  but why is it that when we measure for brace height its from the lowest point on the belly side of riser.  Then where do we measure during the tiller stage..?  I measure from the lowest point on the belly side of riser.  ???  This topic has always been confusing.  And what is AMO again not that I pay attention to it.  When I measure a bow I do it on the back side from NTN.  Is this correct..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »
bow101,
               It's measured from the nock hole to the back for arrow length. With a 27" draw you would be safe shooting a 28" arrow with a razor sharp broadhead. I personally measure all mine from belly side of the handle to the string when I make a bow so I can get the weight accurate. To each his own...
                                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:14:13 pm »

I'am not doubting you Pat,  but why is it that when we measure for brace height its from the lowest point on the belly side of riser.  Then where do we measure during the tiller stage..?  I measure from the lowest point on the belly side of riser.  ???  This topic has always been confusing.  And what is AMO again not that I pay attention to it.  When I measure a bow I do it on the back side from NTN.  Is this correct..?

I measure my brace from back of handle to center of string.  Having given it some thought, the reason you measure belly of the handle to the string is so that brace height from the palm of your hand to the string is the same from bow to bow, regardless of how deep the handle may be. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:28:40 pm »
Yep makes sense,  but the bow weight is measured from the belly side of the handle after all the palm of your hand is on the that side.  The rise could be 10" thick it has no relevance when measuring weight. .

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 11:50:28 pm »
Yep makes sense,  but the bow weight is measured from the belly side of the handle after all the palm of your hand is on the that side.  The rise could be 10" thick it has no relevance when measuring weight. .

Draw weight is totaly related to draw length and ain't measured from the belly, remember it's #50 @28" draw length measures from back of the bow, brace height, witch can be measured from belly has nothing to do with either draw # or length
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37:16 am »

Draw weight is totaly related to draw length and ain't measured from the belly, remember it's #50 @28" draw length measures from back of the bow, brace height, witch can be measured from belly has nothing to do with either draw # or length

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have been doing it wrong and have my marks on the tiller tree 28" from the belly and they say add  1.75"  for AMO draw length to compensate for the riser.
Ouch so there again I'm pulling on my tree at 28 its actually 29"+ or whatever my riser thickness is.  I hope that makes sense to all for those that do not understand..

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:00:35 am »
Sounds like it. Back of the handle to the knock point. That's why arrows are measured BOP (back of point). Too many handle/riser depths around to even start to measure it any other way. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.