Author Topic: Gidget gets her sinew  (Read 8597 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Gidget gets her sinew
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 08:05:13 pm »
I just took this pic of Gidget to show the sinew drying. You can see the transparent areas. Tomorrow the whole backing will look like that. I started the sinew process about mid morning today and took this pic about 7pm this evening. It seems to be drying pretty good. The strange thing is we have had heavy rain all day. About 4.5" already and our house is not air conditioned. The front door was open all day. I guess until the M/C of the sinew matches the M/C or the air it will keep on drying.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:10:11 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:31 pm »
Looks like I better go buy about ten+ family sized boxes of popcorn..cause its another patb sinew build along and its gonna take awhile ;)

I'm beginning to agree with Chris... :) Yes this may take a while... :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 08:44:57 pm »
Pat,
I was just wondering if it is possible to "speed" dry a sinew backed bow.  I've heard good and bad things about "speed" drying (dry box) staves.  just wondering? do you have any experience with it?
Bill
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:54:17 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 08:54:06 pm »
Pat, I see the red streaks you were talking about after you applied the hide glue. Looks like an excellent start ;)
                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:42 pm »
Pat,, do you know about how much the sinew weighed before you put it on,, or how many grains of sinew you applied,,??? will you put more layers or is that the amount that will be on the finished bow??

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
Interesting.  I have yet to sinew a bow.  Will have to give it a try soon.  Thanks for doing this!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 10:41:46 pm »
Pat what did you think about that sinew compared to deer sinew.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 11:08:54 pm »
Looking great Pat.  I would have never thought to wash it under the sink with dawn.  I like it

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 11:24:25 pm »
This is great Pat, thanks for all the pictures, love em!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:10 pm »
Rob, I love the cow sinew....especially since you had already shredded it.  ;D  This is my third sinew backed bows with it. Thanks again.
Brad, I didn't weigh the sinew. I just put down one course, let it cure until transparent and fill in the thin spots with a second course and if necessary smooth out with a third course.
Bill, you probably can speed dry sinew. I doubt that a sinewed bow ever cures out completely in humid areas. In dry climates it can increase in weight for a year or more as it dries/cures.
 Once I've added all the sinew I'll place the bow over our hot water heater for 3 to 4 weeks, add a snake skin cover and place it back for another couple of weeks. I prefer a long cure time, others take a shorter route.
Matt, you should have seen the yellow water running down the drain.   I like using the Dawn wash and boiling water rinse because it "wets" the wood and I think it helps the hide glue sink into the wood better.
Stay tuned James.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 10:00:54 am »
...and at 9am this morning after over 5" of rain yesterday. You can see how much moisture she has lost overnight.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:07 am »
That's what I was thinking when I saw it.  Crazy the water was turning yellow :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 10:42:07 am »
Looking good Pat,so you got rain also. :o ;) :) Man that is all it has done here for the last 10 days and still today,suppoed to clear some the rest of the week. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:22 am »
this is gonna be awesome  8)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 01:30:58 pm »
thats looking great,, thanks for the info