Author Topic: Fall is here  (Read 1696 times)

Offline DC

Fall is here
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »
This is about as nice as our Big Leafed maples get. These are about 100' tall and 3-4' through the butt. Too bad it doesn't make good bows.

Offline lenador

Re: Fall is here
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:07:43 pm »
Very nice, love the color changing maples. Our state parks are full of them and they are beautiful right now. My immediate area is like a cluster silver leafs which are exceptionally bland in the fall.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »
 ;D
There is without a doubt something magical about the
death of leaves. I was blessed to see the change in the Poconos
for many years. There are the most northern, southern varieties and the most southern, northern varieties of trees there.
Thanks for posting those huge maples.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »
Spent this weekend in upstate New York, moving out the last of my stuff back to Michigan. I think we missed the peak colors out here, but still got to see quite a few. I will miss the views in this area, but very happy to be getting home!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 11:57:52 pm »
Our leaves are getting better each day. The poplars and birches have just about defoliated. Some maples are in full color others finished but our oaks are slow, just starting to turn. We've only had one light frost here so when the next good frost comes the oaks will kick in. There are lots of acorns on the ground, most germinating now. The deer and bear will be fat this year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:48:55 am »
Pat,
Interesting you mentioning the germinating akerns.
I was suprised to see a profusion of them here in VA too.
A banner year for the oaks. No akerns last year. Wierd.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:39 am »
White oaks always sprout their root shoot in the fall then the top shoot next spring. Probably so noticeable this year because there are so many. Around here it's like walking on ball bearings.
 Once they germinate they don't get eaten.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC