Author Topic: sometimes its hard to remind yourself its just a stick.  (Read 2124 times)

Offline sleek

sometimes its hard to remind yourself its just a stick.
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:00:36 pm »
Right now, im kinda in a daze. I thought this bow would last me my lifetime. I built my favorite bow in 2009 and have hutned with it and only it every season since. Its an elm bow, species I assume to be wych elm, it had a purple heartwood center, 55#@28 and I feel like im writing the eulogy of a good friend. It wasnt pretty but functional,  very sturdy, with lots of character.  I feel a bit sick and very depressed right now. I strung it up today and went full draw. I heard the back start to rip open , though reluctantly.  A closer examination showed it having started to open up in two spots on the upper limb. I built it for 28 " and only draw 25. Im unsure what did the bow in. Perhaps it was too dry, its been in the car for a few weeks but the temp is low and been raing allot with dew in the mornings. Im going to miss this bow. Two years ago I made a bow of similar stats for JW just like I made this one. At least she has a twin out there still kickin. At least it didnt come apart on me and I will be building a replica from another elm from the same woods. This one will hang on the wall above the door above my family crest. Damn I feel like I lost the sole of a wood spirit who was my close friend, comfort, and companion. I loved this bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wizardgoat

Re: sometimes its hard to remind yourself its just a stick.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 01:36:15 pm »
That sucks! Ive yet to break a bow, but ive only been makin for a year.
Every time I string a bow, I exercise for a while before I full draw.
I feel it warms it up or something, but I dont know.
Maybe it took a dent on the back that you didnt see.
Hang it up and make another!

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »
Yeah.... I guess I should just take the attitude of.... Darn, my stick thingy broke. Reckon ill go make another.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:16:46 pm »
Dang that sucks man and I know how attached you can become I have a similar bow that I'm attatched to and would hate for it to splinter one day. Plus after having it 5 years you wouldn't think it would blow up that's crazy. it definetly isn't just a piece of wood when you made it with your own hands
I like osage

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 01:03:15 am »
Heck, I just had that bow in my hands today. I was working on getting all my various bows together in one spot to put on a rack.  Picked it up and grinned.  Maybe I need to shoot it a little now.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 01:41:06 am »
Id appreciate it JW. All macho man stuff aside, I feel empty, knowing im going to bed tonight, with this night being the first of not having my bow. The life of the tree I took for this bow, now wasted.  I imagine I sound sappy and ridiculousto many, but im really bummed and get this way when I am. JW I really hope that bow treats you as well as mine treated me, and lasts you your life. A good bow is a good companion.  I did my best with that whoopin stick for you. For its intended purpose I think that bow will serve like no other.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:27:03 am »
Wow....I truely never felt that way about a bow. In fact I never really shoot a bow more than a month or two, then I make a new one and move on. I kinda wish I could attach to just one bow like you:-/

If this is the bow you are thinking about repairing, then dont (imo).....if you repair it, your old bow will be gone and it will never be the same anyway.

Make a new one, but not a copy.

Cheers

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 03:32:18 am »
Wow....I truely never felt that way about a bow. In fact I never really shoot a bow more than a month or two, then I make a new one and move on. I kinda wish I could attach to just one bow like you:-/

If this is the bow you are thinking about repairing, then dont (imo).....if you repair it, your old bow will be gone and it will never be the same anyway.

Make a new one, but not a copy.

Cheers

+1

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 05:30:51 am »
I have a few that are special,[not sure they are that special you almost made me cry] :) ,but mostly just bows to use as long as they last ,then move on. I never keep a broke one no matter what it's done for me,it gets to cook Brats for it final goodbuy :) Sorry for your loss I have seen many that feel just the way you do and appreciate that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:53:21 pm »
Don't feel bad dude. My shop floor is littered with the splinters of dozens of bows that decided to commit suicide on me.

We can do a lot to predict what makes a good bow, but even when well executed, we have to admit that we're still working with a natural product. And everything this side of glory is bound to fail sooner or later.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 06:55:03 pm »
i had a sinew bow made from a tree that a friend now passed helped me fell,,the sinew was from a buffalo I shot and a red stag from Argentina,,, and whitetail,,, well I killed some deer with that bow,, had it for years and it was my favorite all time bow,,, one day I dry fired it practicing,, well that was that,, know how you feel,,, I have some new special ones,,, and I like to give some bows away, that always makes me feel good,, :)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 07:03:19 pm »
I don't see how some of you guys shoot one for a month then move on lol. I like the idea of making something with my own hands and being able to use it for hopefully the rest of my life and show it to people but I guess most people aren't like that.
I like osage