Author Topic: Shaping/tillering question  (Read 2041 times)

Offline DC

Shaping/tillering question
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:25 pm »
I have this knot about mid-limb. It's yew. You can see the knot is right at the edge on the back and in the middle on the belly. It's 1 1/4" wide and 3/4" thick at the knot. I'm trying to reduce the mass so I want to make it narrower. How would you go about that? Cut into the knot because it's already close to the edge, cut away some of the good wood on the other side or avoid this area. The bow will only be about 35# because it's for my grandaughter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shaping/tillering question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:01:39 pm »
Unfortunately that is mass you'll probably have to deal with. Leave the wood on the back there. You may be able to reduce the thickness some on the belly but not on that side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:03:16 pm »
I don't work with yew but I think I would leave the knot. If its 3/4" thick I would probably reduce the thickness some, and maybe add a cloth or rawhide backing.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:38 pm »
In order to get the bow down to 35# the limb is going to be thinner than 3/4". Should I just kind of leave a lump around the knot and thin and narrow the rest of the limb?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:30 pm »
Just tiller it ;) u can just rasp it. I wouldn't worry about leaving wood around it on the belly. Fill it with super glue periodically when u keep reducing it.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 01:48:05 am »
How long is the bow don?
35# is not a lot, especially for 1 1/4"
I'm going to go against the grain and say that
I would probably knock the width down and lose
that knot. It would end up in the side, which depending
on how funky or solid the knot is, could be good or bad.
I'm working on my 8th yew bow, so experience is limited,
but a couple have knots on the side and they're ok.
BUT, an over built yew bow is better than... Well you know
I also say this because Im in yew heaven.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:59 am »
I'm very guilty of overbuilding :-[. I've made about 10 bows and I haven't come close to the mass that I should. I'm working towards that as I go along. I'll whittle away at this and see how I do. It's 35# at 24" so I've got a bit to take off. I'm trying to take most of it from the sides but the knots keep getting in the way. I'm on the Island so yew is available. This was a thin piece that I really didn't think would make a heavier bow so I decided to make the 35 pounder. As it turns out I think I could have got 50# out of it. I can't brace a 50# bow so I just keep scraping.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 04:24:23 pm »
i do temporary nock overlays on all my bows during tillering. some that are hard to brace i file in some temporary stringing grooves, english warbow style.
no point in hurting your back for low brace!