Author Topic: Murder is a bad name  (Read 5516 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Murder is a bad name
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 12:16:19 pm »
I liked the part where the falconer used a prairie falcon to catch a young female crow from a massive migration somewhere in Canada, I think. The falconer released the unharmed young crow and she flew back up in the trees where some other crows were. After a few moments of crow chatter the whole migration left he scene.
 Around here the farmers will shoot a crow and hang it on the fence to keep other crows from raiding their garden.
  For years we had a mating pair of sharp shin hawks nesting in a pine grove near our house. We never had crow problems. A few years ago some larger hawks nested in the same pines as the sharp shins but before the sharp shins returned. Needless to say the sharp shins have moved out of this area. Ever since, crows have raided our garden. If a crow wants a tomato out of our garden he is welcome to it but to take a bite out of every tomato is a bit too much. I really don't want to shoot a crow just as a repellent but I may have to if things don't change.  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

Re: Murder is a bad name
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 01:46:58 pm »
The documentary is great and shows what crows can accomplish.
But it still must be just a small glimpse of there over all abilities and antics
in the wild. Pat I think you can deter the rascals by shooting close to them.
Although a stray pellet can create a cure faster. lol
Experience in my garden this spring. I really don't like to kill them either.
They are a great help in carrion clean up. Especially where the buzzards
can't get to. Like in the overgrown cedars. Some of my friends have had
a great time raising orphaned crows.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.