Author Topic: Apply finish before skinning a bow ?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline OsageWhisper

Apply finish before skinning a bow ?
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »
Sorry for another newbie question, I plan on adding skins to my bow, should I apply finish to the bow first ?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Apply finish before skinning a bow ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:59:10 pm »
Put the final finish on after the skins.  You want a clean back on the bow to glue the skins onto.  You can put a coat of glue on the back and let it dry before you put the skins on.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »
What Clint said. I like to put a thin coat of TBIII down first as a vapor barrier, let it cure out completely then add glue over that and to the skin and put the skin down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:17 pm »
Make sure its a bow first, put 3-400 arrows through it and make sure it's gonna make it before applying the skins, its a shame to put skins on a bow and thirty shots later its a tomato stake
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline OsageWhisper

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:31:15 pm »
yes its a bow for sure, I just wondered if I should put some finish on the bow, skin it and them put more finish on it. Basically can you apply the skin on a finished bow.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 04:34:21 pm »
What Clint said. If you put a thin layer of TB3 on like Pat said , it will give you a water resistant layer between the skin and the wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:19:15 pm »
Make sure its a bow first, put 3-400 arrows through it and make sure it's gonna make it before applying the skins, its a shame to put skins on a bow and thirty shots later its a tomato stake

I can't agree more......... wasted a few skins before it sank into to my thick head... :-[ :-[
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »
Fellows, think about for a moment. If you were doing a horn and sinew, or just a sinew backing you would call it sizing, which is what it is, putting down a layer of glue and letting it dry before you do the backing.
Duke
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:02 am »
Duke, when a newbie asks a question, we try to explain the situation to them so they can understand. They can learn the terminology later on their own.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:41:56 am »
Patb is so right ..cause as soon as you say first size the bow then apply skins..the very next question is ..."what the heck do you mean size the bow,i said it was 64" ntn"!    He just saved a couple steps...lmbo
"SET" is always there !!!