Author Topic: A Hickory Bow  (Read 18846 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: A Hickory Bow
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 03:24:31 pm »
Looking good, a little bit off the upper limb on the outer third and you should be good to go! Take your time while fine tuning! Keep posting pics looks like your getting it walked into place! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 09:35:53 pm »
One last tiller check guys. The more I stare at it the less I can figure if it needs anything. I'm afraid I might of over done it a little.    ???

Offline okie64

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 09:52:04 pm »
It looks like your top limb is bending too much in the inner third but its a little weaker than the bottom limb also. I would take a few scrapes off the bottom mid and outer limb to even it up a little more and then the inner third on the top may not look like its bending too much. Hope that makes sense to ya:)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:07 pm »
It looks like your top limb is bending too much in the inner third but its a little weaker than the bottom limb also. I would take a few scrapes off the bottom mid and outer limb to even it up a little more and then the inner third on the top may not look like its bending too much. Hope that makes sense to ya:)

+1 almost got it bud.

Try moving your bow hand down a touch till it's at the center point of the bow. Then post another tiller picture. You seam to be applying more pressure to the top fade with your hand that high. JMO Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Shaneisneato

Re: A Hickory Bow (Finished finally)
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 07:34:14 pm »
Well here it is...Did some fine tuning with the help of some guys at the Moon Tree Gathering and finished it after I got back. Just finished it quick and simple as I kind of wanted to be done and start another one with the knowledge I have now.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 10:26:31 pm »
That bow turned out nice.  Its good to hear you are starting on another one.  Glad you made it to Moontree this year. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 12:21:09 am »
Really liked it and going to make sure I'm there for a lot longer next time. I'm already half way done with the next one, just slow on posting the pictures of this one.  :laugh:

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:01 am »
Looks good to me, also. Again, it was a pleasure having at out little gathering.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2015, 05:09:39 pm »
Hey Shane,  that bow turned out nice.......
What kind of poundage did you end up with?  I remember you thought you might not hit your target weight.

Glad to here your starting another one, it's addicting... isn't it.... :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline TRACY

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2015, 06:52:33 pm »
Looks real good shane! Pleasure meeting you at Moontree and hope you can make it to Scottsburg for a shoot. There's a thread in the club section on indiana traditional Bowhunters association. What wood are you using for the next one?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2015, 08:29:55 pm »
Danzn Bar: It ended up coming in at 35 pounds. Which is a little less but that's ok. For sure it's addicting. Wish I had more time to put into it.  :laugh:

Tracy: It was a pleasure meeting all guys, I'm hoping I can make it out to Scottsburg and the next Moontree for sure. Next bow comes from the same hunk of Hickory that this first one came from. Probably try an Osage after that.