Author Topic: Something to discuss...  (Read 18293 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Something to discuss...
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »
Ill need glue with my set up. Its all walnut and walnut isn't especially hard at all.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 09:44:09 am »
I changed gears and ordered some purple heart and goncola alves to make an I beam style riser. I got one limb glued up last night and will do the other tonite. I didn't add any more reflex, simply glued the hickory to the shape the osage took. Takes 2 hours to cure the Unibond 800 under the lamps. I check it every 30 minutes to be sure nothing over heats on me. Slow and steady on this one. I have all my hardware in hand as well as all the epoxy for the inserts.

Ive tried explaining alternating clamps before, finally have a good pic to describe it for me. It keeps the weight distributed evenly and keeps limb twist at a minimum.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 10:04:15 am »
Well at least it will be made out of pretty wood !  ;)
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Parnell

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 01:34:40 pm »
I'm watching. ;)
1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »
Gonna be sweet Chris, all wwod three pc t/ds are a learning experience
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 08:00:37 pm »
Drums and I must be sharing brainwaves.  :-\ ;)  I was glueing up a limb at the same time he was! Here's my setup. I just parked it in front of a baseboard heater with some tin foil over top. Has no trouble taking it to 180 degrees!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:41 pm »
I like Cody's set up better  :P  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 08:54:05 pm »
So do I. For whatever reason, I had gaps all over town. I tossed both out and started another set from ipe, because its all I have.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 09:09:07 pm »
Pearly  what do you want ?
I can look to see if I can fing ya some
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2014, 08:25:35 am »
I want to use osage Guy, but I refuse to cut up a good billet or stave to make slats.....isn't that a sin? If not, it should be!

Offline adb

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:29 am »
Geez Chris... I thought you knew that. You can't just clamp directly on to your backing strip... it's too thin. What you ended up with is what happened... gaps and waves. You can use clamps like you did, but you need to put a strip of wood over top of your backing strip, so it's sandwiched between them. That way, it evens out the pressure. You could ditch those expensive clamps and get some inner tubes. Also, don't waste that osage. Sand off that backing strip and start over!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2014, 10:35:02 am »
Heck no Adam, I know stave bows. Ill try again with another set up and a backing strip as you mentioned. Bub also mentioned shrink wrap.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 11:40:47 am »
Here's my setup.
Like the use of pegs in your caul design!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2014, 11:47:54 am »
Heck no Adam, I know stave bows.
You're livin' & learnin'.  And we have privilege of learning a bit during your experiencing.  Best of luck with next iteration!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »
Im not a happy failure Mr. Mike! I tend to get grumpy when I do.