Author Topic: Had to put my girl down today. Not a good day.  (Read 6722 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Had to put my girl down today. Not a good day.
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »
I haven't posted in a while.  I've been super swamped with a lot of things.  My English setter Sage was put down today.  She had a degenerative spine disease where the gaps between the vertebrae were tring to grow together, then breaking when she moved.  We thought it would progress slowly.  It is her seventh birthday today.  We found out on Monday and she didn't eat anything all week and went down hill fast.  I noticed something was wrong at the beginning of the summer but it took multiple vet vists and a few months to figure it out.  She was one of the best bird dogs I have seen.  I got to go on one last hunt on Wednesday, any ways I'll stop now.  You guys are always good for an ear so thanks. 

Offline half eye

Re: Had to put my girl down today. Not a good day.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »
sorry dont really get it Matt. But at least she got to enjoy huntin them birds and being with you. Losing a dog just flat hurts, and for a long time too.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:39:01 pm »
So sorry to hear that, man.  Dogs are a part of our lives, but we are their whole lives.  She can't say it, but thanks for being strong enough to take care of her when she needed you the very most. 

There is no replacing a dog.  But there is always room for the next one. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wildman

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 09:42:32 pm »
Matt , they say you get one great dog in life , but I disagree. We have some little cur ladies , and I raised and trained Labs for years. They are all special in their own way. I understand what your going through , and its never easy. I feel sure when you are ready a awesome new friend will be found. Our condolences brother.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:05:22 pm »
Sorry to hear that Matt.  I think a good dog is the most honest friend a man will ever have.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:09:56 am »
Sorry Matt, I've been in the same spot having to put down your best bud, remember the good times you had, forget the rest
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tyke

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 01:41:49 am »
Sorry matt my dogs are my life i cant imagine losing one my condolences to you and your family
why buy it when you can build it

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 04:55:01 am »
Sorry to hear of Your loss Matt. Never an easy decision. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:19:47 am »
My sympathies Matt! Been there and it's never easy. Hang on to the memories, they make it a little better.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 11:13:49 am »
Thank you guys so much.  We buried her in the most beautiful spot.  When we finish building our house, we will be able to see her every day out our kitchen window. 

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 12:00:39 pm »
Sorry for your loss MAtt. Of all the dogs I have had none have affected more than my first.

Offline coxral

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 08:56:45 pm »
Sorry for your loss. Words can't express my sorrow for when we have to let pets go.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 10:05:11 pm »
It's a lot harder to lose a pet than people without pets understand. Take good care of yourself, give voice to your grief, and treasure the time you had.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 10:19:59 pm »
Sorry Matt, I've been in the same spot having to put down your best bud, remember the good times you had, forget the rest
Well said, imo.  Nuttin' lasts forever, except the memories.  Your posting brought back some good memories for me.  Thanks!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Online sleek

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 10:42:25 pm »
I plant a tree on my dogs graves. The life of the tree there makes me feel better. Something beautiful growing to represent the life of my dog, and it will out live me.  I have lost 3 inside of a year. I know the feeling. I feel sick for you buddy. Sorry for your loss. It is a big one.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others