Author Topic: where can i find colord glass suitable for knapping?  (Read 11622 times)

Offline beartail

where can i find colord glass suitable for knapping?
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:46:37 am »
iv been searching the net for colored glass and I cant seem to pinpoint a suitable product for knapping.ive searched for glass tile sheets but I cant find anything 1/4" thick that's long and or wide enough.anyone got any ideas? ive searched stain glass opilised glass sheets and art glass.

Offline bubby

Re: where can i find colord glass suitable for knapping?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:17:41 am »
On ebay you can get fiberoptic glass for knapping.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:52:57 am »
In Franklin NC they have gaint metal baskets of colored glass for sale.
They are chunks not slabs. The prices are crazy. More than having obsidian shipped to you.
Some rock dealers have large tile slabs of colored glass 12x12x3/4"
PM me and I'll give you a couple names
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:17:23 am »
Bottles... Bud Platinum, some wine bottles, olive oil bottles, etc.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:39 pm »
gem and mineral shows. We will have one in April and there is often slag glass for sale. The one glass shop I used to get some from now uses only white glass and adds color in small bits.  If I find anything I will let you know. Michaels craft shop for mosaic glass.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:19:56 pm »
If you know of any old house places or family dump sites, you can probably find some there.

WA

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »
Stained glass windows from a church...  >:D

but for real my grandmother had a slab when her church re-did their stain glass window and gave me a piece.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 10:26:43 pm »
This question comes up from time to time and it always seems that no company offers glass in the shape/thickness we knappers need.  Well, that's true for the most part but there are companies that sell suitable glass.  It just costs a fortune.

Bullseye Glass Co. offers glass "billets" that are 5" x 10" x 3/4" thick in various colors.  I didn't see any blue on their website just now but I think you may be able to call them and ask for it.  The problem is that these "billets" start at $52.00 each!!  (bullseyeglass.com).  When you go to their home page, click on the tab that says "Billets".

If I want good quality glass at a very cheap price and just the right size for knapping medium-sized points, I buy some Perrier water in the green glass bottles.  The bottoms are thick, relatively flat and can be cut in half with glass cutters.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline flungonin

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:59:28 pm »
go to thrift stores where they sell 2nd hand clothing , furniture and appliances. They usually have glass wear. ashtrays, older glasses, vases, pitchers, coasters with 3/4 -1 " bottoms. $.75 ea.

Offline neuse

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:10:07 am »
Curts cherts had some slab type glass, rectangle shape, different colors.

Offline le0n

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:51:02 am »
in regards to the fiber optic comment, i saw this place online a few months ago: http://www.neolithics.com/slabs/

i haven't ordering anything from them though.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
I go to thrift shops, where I get trivets, jar lids and ash trays for less than a buck. These are mostly straight, quite large and thick, compared to bottle bottoms. Of course you miss out on the beer that way :'( , but knapping wise ist much better. Also, at the recycling stations you can often pick up larger shards.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:47:36 am by Jodocus »
Don't shoot!

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 01:11:19 am »
If you dont mind spending some $ checkout www.missouritrading.com they have some sweet fiber optic glass blanks for sale. I think they have an ebeBay store too. Around here I've been able to come across some glass in old ghostown dumps. Hope that helps.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 01:45:31 pm »
I am new to knapping but my recycling center has a been a great place to find colored glass bottles.  some are quite large.  Every time I visit the center I take about as much glass as I drop off.  They get the clear stuff I get the blue and green.    ;)

I am looking to put my knapping research to use real soon.  I just need to get my tools and some raw material. 

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 02:19:25 pm »
If you knap fiber optics be aware that it is made from very pure silicon and the dust from it is dangerous.  Just make sure you have excellent ventilation!  Joe 
Get Close---Shoot Straight