Author Topic: Reworking An Osage Bow  (Read 3175 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Reworking An Osage Bow
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 03:45:46 pm »
10 cooks and 20 recipes.  What to do?  If you must - clean up the back, put down some rawhide, and reduce weight like Pearl suggests.  If it were me, I would just build another - - you will likely be happier in the end with the results - and you will still have the bow that made meat.   

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »
I agree with the latter posts - not sinew, just a rawhide back.  If you still have that doe's hide then you have the rawhide you need right there, and you get the sentimental value you were looking for.  I'd be real reluctant to remove anything with a belt sander as well.  Belt sander sounds like a good way to lose to much weight or jack up your bow.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 04:43:41 pm »
Have you done a sinew job before, cause it is messy, labor intensive and quite frankly for me a general pain in the rear, if I'm gonna sinew a bow I try and design it for sinew I'd do as Pearl suggested
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline RAU

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 05:43:20 pm »
Yes I've done a few Sinew jobs. I've always used Knox gelatin for hide glue. I don't mind the process at all, not a huge fan of processing the stuff but laying it down I don't mind. That said I'm liking this rawhide idea a lot! Thanks guys!