Author Topic: canadian timber wolf  (Read 2781 times)

Offline bushboy

canadian timber wolf
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:29:04 pm »
Was at work the other day and wolves came up because the last two winters have been very harsh, deep snow and the deer population has been cut down by 40 percent creating a spike in the wolf and coyote numbers.my coworker showed this pic of a good friend of his with a mature male.the guy in the pic is 5'10 and about 200lbs and the pic was taken with a cell phone. He said the pic was not photo shopped or wide angle lens used.i have seen canine tracks that where close to 4" across behind my house.this wolf was taken about 20km from where I live.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Re: canadian timber wolf
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:31:21 pm »
Pic didn't work
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »
That's a big animal! About 20-25 years ago we had a bad winter on the Island and the wolves started moving towards the beach. Some nights I could hear them from the back step. I was out one night listening and noticed that my pooch was cowering way back in the corner of his doghouse. I said," OK, you can sleep in the house for one night." About 5 years later I burned his doghouse.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:49:48 pm »
" OK, you can sleep in the house for one night." About 5 years later I burned his doghouse.
:)

That wolf is some kinda gorgeous animal!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:40:20 pm »
It is! I can't stop going back to look at it.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:59:04 pm »
That Is an awesome looking animal for sure!

About 2 years ago I put a game camera up at a buddy's house in his back yard. I got several pictures of deer then as I scrolled through them I seen what looked like a wolf. I had 26 pictures of him. I took the pics to a buddy of mine that is a conservation agent. When I started showing him his mouth dropped open and he said, where did you get these from? I said, from my game camera in a buddy's back yard  in Lawrence County, MO. He took copies of the pics and told me he would let me know what he found out. I got a call a couple days later and he told me that they was putting a wolf sighting in Lawrence County in the books. He told me that when a male is shun from the pack that they well become something of a wandering nomad. They have been known to travel thousands of miles. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 11:26:28 pm »
In 2010 when I was in the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado on an elk hunt with Kenneth(Little John) I had a wolf come within 25 yards of where I was sitting on the ground between 2 fallen trees. I got a quick pic of him the first time I saw him about 2 hours before but then he was 40 yards or more and moving. When I picked up the camera the second time, he vanished before I could get a pic. It made my otherwise uneventful hunt complete.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 05:50:39 am »
Beautiful Animal ! That would pucker You up meeting face to face in the Bush. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:12 am »
Some 15 years ago I was Bear hunting on an abandoned farm about 20 minutes from my place.  The land owners had planted Apple trees and over the years the Bears had "scattered" seed all over the small field next to the farmhouse.  I got there fairly early and went for a walk about to check out the trees for Apples then went back to my stand.  Just before dark I saw a movement at the far end of the field and thought "here we go".  Out trotted 2 fairly large Grey Wolves.  I had a scope on my rifle and checked them out but did not shoot neither one.  They meandered around for awhile then one of them crossed my tracks.  They immediately stopped in their tracks, turned around and quietly melted back into the trees.  Not the first time I had seen some but it was nice to see.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:52:24 am »
In Utah we have a few that have been trapped and taken back to Yellowstone I think 3 times. One of them is collared. It is only about 400 miles as the crow flies, so not really all that far.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.