Author Topic: RESPECT!!  (Read 2190 times)

Offline JRMakowski

RESPECT!!
« on: September 12, 2015, 07:55:15 pm »
Well I must make a post as I am new to the forum and been lurking awhile. This forum has inspired me to take my first attempt at making a traditional bow took me about a month to get all the necessary tools and equip, then 2 1/2 month to find the right board (Home Depot , and Lowes in three counties Hate me now) I thought the hard part was over boy was I wrong, this is a very time consuming frustrating stressful hobby yet it is very enjoyable I am almost able to start tillering just unibonded my Hickory backing on to my red oak board and for the first time I can see what resembles a bow. I am amazed by some of the works of art Ive seen on here and hope to one day be a contributing member of a pretty amazing forum but as for now back to the rasping.
Id Rather Be Lucky Then Good!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: RESPECT!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:36:29 pm »
Welcome. I've made a few but most of these guys make me look like an apprentice.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:37:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum!! And good luck on your bow.
What style bow is it if you don't mind me asking?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:34 pm »
Sounds like you've committed yourself to doing it and are in too deep to turn back, cool! :)
Post some pics. of your progress and if you hit any stumbling blocks there are some guys here that can walk you though some of the tricky stuff if you feel you need any advise. Good to have ya aboard.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 09:03:05 pm »
Welcome to PA.  The members who made the works of art you mentioned all had to start somewhere.  If you want to learn and improve post pictures of your work and ask for honest opinions and help.  There is an incredible amount of knowledge on this sight.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:51 pm »
Ty for the warm welcome, Its Floor tillered, but feels a little stiff, I think I'm going to try and put some shallow string grooves and exercise it at a couple inches and get a feel of it. (its hickory backed red oak a mild 1 1/2" Reflex by 1/2 Deflex I dont think it held the full R/D But it has a little curve to it)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:52:17 pm by JRMakowski »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 02:01:12 am »
Welcome!
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 08:16:34 am »
Welcome aboard. They get easier after few.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 01:06:44 pm »
Welcome aboard. They get easier after few.
I sure hope so

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 01:07:18 pm »
Looks to be shaping up nicely, I like the side profile. One thing to watch may be your transition from deep handle into the fades, make the transition flow smoothly into the limbs, not too abrupt. I don't make may deep handle bows anymore so I'm no expert but it should be smooth if it is going to bend any in that area.
Keep posting pics as you move along, looks like you have a real good start.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.