Author Topic: Limestone quarry  (Read 1700 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Limestone quarry
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:55:42 pm »
theres a large limestone quarry not too far from me.  Does that mean there's probably chert getting stirred up, or does it not necessarily mean good knapping stone? There's also lots of opals and Jaspers here, but further away.
Also lots of basalt at the base of mt garibaldi. All the obsidian is in higher elevations.
Where should I turn my attention? Buying rocks off the internet just seems silly to me, even though I have s 25lb box of Texas chert coming

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Limestone quarry
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:07:05 pm »
Some of the best chert/flint forms in pockets in limestone. However, some limestone has little or no chert, while some other limestone may be loaded. Check to find out whether you can hunt there at designated times or whether the quarry pushes their chert to a scrap pile. Chert is so hard that some quarries consider it a nuisance rock and pile it aside. People managing quarry sites are usually very concerned about liability with anyone being on their site. These days somebody could go out there and drop a rock on his foot and sue the quarry for not telling him that rock is heavy. It might take a little planning to find out who to talk to. If you just drive up to their gate and ask, you might get lucky, but more than likely you will get a big NO. You might even be able to investigate through an employee. He might even have legal access to gather it for you.

WA

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Limestone quarry
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:18:41 pm »
thanks for the reply!