Author Topic: A battle in the bow shop  (Read 12289 times)

Offline osage outlaw

A battle in the bow shop
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:15:37 pm »
Yesterday I was getting ready to leave my small bow shop and head inside for the evening when I heard a scratching sound from the corner.  I went to investigate and saw a small mouse.  I grabbed the nearest weapon, a FG fishing arrow and went after it.  The rodent proved to fast for the fishing arrow and took cover under a cabinet.  I have had a baited trap set under my workbench since last winter.  I looked at it and saw it was picked clean. I had checked it a few days prior and it was still set and baited so I knew he hadn't been in there to long.  I reset the trap with a chunk of peanut butter cookie super glued to the trigger.  Late last night I checked it and I had caught him.  I reset the trap just to make sure he was the only one.  This morning as I was leaving for work I checked it and found I had caught another one.  Surely that was the last one.  Tonight I came home and went to get rid of the pest and reset the trap.  As I walk in the door I see another mouse sitting on my work bench staring at me with an evil glint in his beady little eyes.  For a moment we were both frozen, waiting on the other to make the first move.  I quickly grabbed a cane shaft and  started swinging.  He made a desperate dive off the bench and went running behind it.  I baited the trap and reset it again.  But that's not good enough.  I grabbed my official Red Ryder carbine action 200-range-shot model air rifle and carefully loaded it with ammo.  I'm giving him time to settle down before I resume the hunt. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Scottski

Re: A battle in the bow shop
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:24:44 pm »
Aim small miss small.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:25:49 pm »
Great story Clint........"cabin fever" so early???  :)  Got'a here the ending........sitting on pins and needles just waiting.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:37:55 pm »
Have same infestation problem each year when 1st cold snaps occur.  And same trap solution.  Good huntin' to ya!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:46 pm »
The game is on..... Go get 'em you big bully. ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:48:15 pm »
The game is afoot, and blood will be spilled >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »

Ahhh, fox bait!  Good luck!

Wayne

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:36:58 pm »
I figured enough time had passed to allow him to break cover and find the trap so I headed back out to the shop.  I eased the door open and saw the cookie was gone and the trap was still set.  He stole the bait before the TB could set up and hold it tight to the trigger.  I went back inside and got the superglue to try it again.  After I reset the trap I decided to try and wait him out.  The Red Ryder was cocked and ready for action.  After a few minutes I heard a slight noise from the stave pile under the work bench.  I crouched down and watched closely.  Movement caught my eye from the right side of the pile.  There he was, carefully emerging and perched on top of a 20 year old osage stave.  I took careful aim and dropped the hammer.  As the Red Ryder roared the mouse buckled at the impact and tumbled to the ground.  A perfectly placed neck shot brought him to a quick and humane end. 

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 11:56:50 pm »
Nice shot! Are you saving the sinew or tanning the hide? ;)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 12:18:33 am »
Nice story - looks like a booner!  Better get him caped out.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 12:29:09 am »
You'll shoot your eye out!   8)
Nice shot placement, Clint. You didn't mess up much meat or hide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 12:32:58 am »
Waste not want not Pat  ;)

Offline steve b.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 12:46:29 am »
Let him hang a few days before butchering.  Great story.  I'm in the middle of the same endeavor.  I recently bought a new  house and the very first night I parked my truck under the barn overhang I had a mouse make a nest in the V of the engine using the battery's insulation.
The backup generator is useless because a mouse chewed up the wiring.
I went up in the attic of my shop and there were mouse droppings everywhere.
So that was it, I went to war.  I put out a bucket with water with a trapdoor on top.  I caught a total of 15 mice so far!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 04:01:47 am »
Back in '88 my mom set a "Have a Heart" trap for a mouse in the basement.  Instead of having its neck broken in an instant it died of dehydration while it couldn't turn around.  Nice shootin' Tex!
1’—>1’

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 04:44:45 am »
I can see it now - the Outlaw will be sporting a new Fur Hat at the Classic this year  >:D O:) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.