Author Topic: Wall hanger question  (Read 5471 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Wall hanger question
« on: November 29, 2014, 11:17:37 pm »
I recently gave one of my bows to the local deer processor who saves all of his deer legs for me.  His wife wanted a bow to hang on the wall.  I had a bow that looked great but was an average shooter so it worked out great.  Yesterday I cut up a large osage tree that fell in a yard by my work.  The home owner texted me tonight and asked about making him a wall hanger bow from the tree.  I haven't made a wallhanger on purpose so I'm not sure how much work you put into one.  Do you go ahead and tiller it out like a regular bow or just rough the tiller in enough to have a nice even brace height?  It will never be shot.  I'll do all the finish work just like a normal bow so it will look the part.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

Re: Wall hanger question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 11:38:17 pm »
I guess if it is just a display get it to brace nice and even then polish it up nice and purrty clint
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:10:03 am »
Ive done a few wallhangers Clint and I went ahead and tillered them out like I would any other bow. Guess I was afraid someone might draw it at sometime or another.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:30:21 am »
I think I would tiller it out, lower draw around 30-35# but not spend too much time trying to get perfect tiller. Make it safe in case someone changes their mind and wants to shoot it someday. If its osage usually the wood can take less than perfect tiller and survive safely. I found that out on the first dozen bows I ever made, all were osage and all had far from good tiller yet survive some heavy use.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 01:40:02 am »
I don't think id tiller it out as a wall hanger but then again if it was tillered out it'd be cool as a wall hanger for a few decades and then down the road itd be cool trying to get it shooting
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 02:40:33 am »
If strung on the wall it will loose all brace string tension and be a limp shooter. BUT if you can build it in such a way that you string it backward for display it will look the part and put reflex in the stave for later on.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 03:26:42 am »
  Like others have said said, I would make it shootable for safety reasons...Somebody someday will have to say " Oh cool, check this out" and start yanking back :o
                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 05:41:25 am »
Gotta be shootable... or one that was shootable and then smashed and you glued it back together 'cos it was real pretty and had tons of character (now how come I know that?O:) ;) )
Come to think of it, I'd bet that if one of just cobbled together a "looks like a bow" the darned thing would shoot anyway! :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:19:17 am »
He said he wants to leave it strung when its on the wall.  That is why I didn't know if I should completely tiller it out.  If its strung for a year and then somebody tries to shoot it, good luck to them  :o   If he wanted to leave it unstrung then I would definitely tiller it out just in case.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
I think i would tiller to a very low poundage. Brace it and clamp it down in brace position then throw the heat to it to make it stay that way. Twist up a couple strands of hemp or sisal for a look alike string and call it done. My thought is if some one does try to pull it the string would break before some one got hurt. Just my $.02...... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 09:53:32 am »
Boy, I dont know if I could make a wall hanger. That would stink! You could brace it backwards and that way it will feel like an authentic museum piece ;D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline rps3

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 10:21:54 am »
My vote is for tillered and overbuilt. If strung backwards, someone will end up drawing it that way.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 10:25:26 am »
Yep, tillering and overbuilding.
Sometimes people want to shoot or pull the bow, and if a bow has hung quite some time in heated room......

Greetings,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
Boy, I dont know if I could make a wall hanger. That would stink! You could brace it backwards and that way it will feel like an authentic museum piece ;D
LOL...
Yo Cody...made me snort my tea :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 11:39:54 am »
Always fully tillered.  You never know, someone may want to use it someday
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com