Author Topic: How the gizmo came to be.  (Read 7833 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: How the gizmo came to be.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 10:55:16 pm »
Are these gizmos effective on character bows with some wiggle in the profile?
Does the bow have to be strung and drawn on a tillering stick to use one?

Offline darinputman

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:28 am »
I consider myself very fortunate to have met Eric Krewson through the forums and after taking him up on an offer to teach me how to build a selfbow now to also call him a friend. One of the first things he showed me was the gizmo and how to use it. Although it's not the answer to all problems with a stave and you still have to work around knots, waves and other natural imperfections in the wood, it sure does help a greenhorn like me out as long as I use it. The question was asked about elliptical tiller and  here is an in process picture of a bow I was working on with what I believe is an elliptical tiller and it helped me all the way to the end.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:49:52 am by darinputman »

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 03:17:30 am »
Yes they are a great tool. I've got a little osage and lignum vitae one I made. I use a bolt in mine and use a pencil to mark where the bolt touches simply because a bolt will last forever and it's no big deal to mark it separately.
I use mine primarily on laminated elbs and they need a highly elliptical tiller. In fact i've just finished one that holds 1 inch of 1 1/4 inches of glued in reflex - tillered perfectly and this tool makes it take half the time. I really like it because of how accurate it allows you to be. I can spot tiny stiff/weak spots with it that eyes alone can't spot.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 10:07:42 am »
Another Thank You to Eric for sharing his gizmo with the rest of the bow making world.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 02:23:43 pm »
A big thanks from me as well!  very cool tool!  I use one and very often I just use a block of wood with no pencil to quickly check for flat spots. 
very helpful! thanks again!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:29 am »
I ran into and got to shoot a round with Eric at Tannehill a couple of years ago and was lucky enough to be the recipient of one of his gizmos. After many more bows under my belt, I still use it today. Sometimes you look at a bow on the tree until you're cross eyed and the gizmo helps you find those hard to miss stiff spots. Thanks again Eric.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA