Author Topic: Flemish String Question  (Read 14515 times)

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Flemish String Question
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 10:35:31 am »
Id like to make a string jig,anybody have a how to or a link to a how to?Thanks.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 10:50:53 am »
Auggie, Dano posted one on the first page.  It is a little different than mine, Ill send some pictures of mine.  It counts the strands and determines length for you. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 11:47:53 am »
Jawge, that might even be enough to get me out of my predicament.  I think pretwisting (in the wrong direction) has been my downfall.  I wondered why I would sometimes not have the problem, it is probably when I got lazy and didn't pretwist the two bundles as much.

This will still not make me want to make strings, and I'll probably use the timber hitch for a lot of my homemade bows.  But it does fill in a gap in my archery knowledge.  Thanks to you all.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline John K

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 01:06:41 am »
I wrote a quick article for PA last month on a slightly different type of string that I make. It's quick and easy to make and is a combination of an endless loop and a flemish. Takes very little time to make

I liked the article Marc ! I'm going to have to try that one.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 11:34:58 pm »
Not that I know that much about string twisting, but have had several unwind on me. I think it had something to do with not wax welding it properly. I measure my strings using the jig I made and add 18 inches for the two ends. First end I measure out nine inches, separate into two equal sets and start twisting - it doesn't matter if you roll toward and twist away or vise versa as long as you do it the same way on both ends. Depending on which way you do it determines what direction you'll have to twist the string to shorten or lengthen it. I've started using a twist tie at the end of first loop also to keep it intact while I'm working on the other end - and always rub in lots of wax and rub it vigorously to build up heat, usually get's too hot on the fingertips :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.