Author Topic: Getting Started -- Use Glass? But I hate glass!!  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Greebe

Getting Started -- Use Glass? But I hate glass!!
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »
Hey guys,

I would like to start flintknapping but do not have a supply of flint. I suppose that is common.

I know a lot of guys use glass. In fact I gave glass a try back in the late 90's, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Here is my deal though. My wife thinks I am a goob, but I kind of have a fear of broken glass. Don't laugh, I have been seriously injured in the past by glass so I always run for cover when my wife breaks something in the kitchen. >:D

Anyways I would like to start flintknapping but am a little apprehensive about using glass. I have about 5 pounds of small flint flakes I have messed with but they are really to small to do anything with.

What do you guys think. Will I survive starting with glass, or should I just forget it? What do you guys do about all the little shards of glass when knapping? Don't they end up all over the place and in your cloths? Do they not then get all over the house. Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh Am I going to DIEEEEEEEE!!!! ;D

Just kidding, but really what about all the little glass pieces?

Thanks, and sorry for sounding like a freak. Put me in the ghetto and shoot at me but don't break glass around me. >:D ;D

Greebe

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Getting Started -- Use Glass? But I hate glass!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:11:45 pm »
You could buy some rock or there are knappable tiles as well if you can find a place that sells tile by the piece or square. Ceramic tile is a very overlooked knapping material. There is also porcelain, but it can be rough and hard to work, but noot always. I hate glass to (obsidian is no different and I have lots of other materials that I prefer), but I do knap glass and obsidian and have learned to clean my pad after every flake, shake off my lap pad, grind often and keep the little pieces off my working surface. You can also wear a glove in your holding hand, but shaking off all the debris after every flake and grinding to make sharp places safe elimainates 95% of any glass problem. Carelessness and build up of debris creates problems.

Offline le0n

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:10:57 am »
glass really isn't that bad; and in comparison to obsidian, glass is seemingly safer in my opinion.

respect all of the materials though. the moment you don't is when you'll have accidents.

i used to be leery of broken glass until i started knapping it and i even used to cut glass and mirror for work when i was younger.

what helps is having a good vacuum (with a hepa filter bag and soft brush attachment) to clean up your area when you are finished. be sure to keep your eye-protection on even when vacuuming.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:15:19 am »
When I work glass, including obsidian and dacite, the first thing I do with each piece is to grind all the edges. When I finish a run of flakes, the first thing I do is dull it. I make sure to have free air circulating so the dust (microscopic razors) gets blown away immediately. I keep a cover on the thigh that corresponds to my holding hand. I never wipe or brush flakes or dust off anything with my bare hand. I wear a good nitrile or leather glove on my holding hand.

Glass is an excellent place to start, because it is "perfect". If the flake runs wrong on glass, it is because you did something wrong. When you can produce the result you want on glass, then it is time to move on to more difficult materials. Some people recommend starting on the tough stuff first, but in my way of thinking, that leaves you always wondering whether the stone is messing you up or whether you are doing something wrong. That's just my slant on it.

WA

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 03:52:39 am »
Glass is cheap, available, "perfect" as chippintuff said, great for learning.
But there's no magic in it.
I could have learned much faster by using mostly glass, but there was never a desire to have those glass objects.
I prefer stone, even mediocre quality, by far.
Don't shoot!

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:17 am »
I don't know if anyone has helped you it seems they want to offer help on chipping glass, have you tried johnstone (toilet) somewhat like glass and I'm sure if you talk to some plumbers you could get some tank lids.Not meaning to put anyone down who has offered advice, and I can understand your fear of glass.I'll send you some johnstone  if you can't find local plumber to get you some.
john 3:16

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 01:09:32 pm »
I actually like working toilet tank ceramic...I don't make hunting points or serious knives out of it, but it works good and will teach you to knap. I have made some good looking dislay stuff and jewelry points and mondo spear points and knives just to give to kids and those who like the primitive stuff, but not to use for hunting.  I can't seem to pass it up when I find a tank to break up.  Good knapping to ya'   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington