Author Topic: oceanspray for bows?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline phyankord

• like to do work with my hands more than my mind.
oceanspray for bows?
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:11:59 pm »
there was a topic a while back (8 years ago) about potentially using oceaspray for bows. i was wondering if anyone here has done it or if anyone has a finished product pictures they would like to share?

my area is relatively lacking when it comes to bow woods and i dont think that i have the time to try and convince the forest service to let me go and chop down a yew tree (if i can even find one in the national forest here!)

Offline Weylin

Re: oceanspray for bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 05:25:03 pm »
Ocean Spray makes excellent bows! It needs to be seasoned slowly and carefully or it will check like mad. Give it at least a year. I make a lot of kids bows out of the smaller shoots but I have some bigger pieces that are ready to go and I'm going to make some adult bows from it. It doesn't take much to make a bow. It is strong and dense.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:29:45 pm »
Makes a great bow! And not just kids bows either, you can get some real heavy bows from it. Cheers- Brendan

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 09:10:23 pm »
I've got a few pieces that I'm anxious to try out.  I worked a small piece into a 24" mini bow.  That stuff is super stiff.  I'm down to a piece the size of a thick arrow and it is hardly bending.  I can't wait to try out a full size bow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:38:23 pm »
See Ocean Spray bow above.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?