Author Topic: Del's Pyramid Taper Test!  (Read 18859 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Del's Pyramid Taper Test!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »
  Thank you Del, I have al;ways wanted to do that. Tim Baker always told me they would bend the same but it didn't make sense to me. Cool test! I am curious as to the handshock.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 06:30:40 pm »
OK, I DO want to say "I told you so!" And you, and you, and you for years.  If you can find my posts on "pyramid" bows you will find I have literally been saying this for many years and having it fall on deaf ears. Not only here but on the leatherwall too.

I have made only "pyramid" bows for a dozen years because they take less time to make and shoot as well as the best other designs.

OF COURSE, the design is not mine and not new. I came across it in Archery, the Technical Side a long time ago.

Thanks Del for posting the tests. I still urge everyone to try the test. You can make a single "limb" tapered to a point and make it out of plywood if you want or thin hickory or whatever. Clamp the big end  in a vice and flex the pointy end. Doing it yourself will make a true believer out of you.

This one was about five years ago.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 07:23:09 pm »
Thanks Del. Hard to argue against the results. I have been told for years that this would be the results. Didn't disbelieve it so much as question what difference it makes (pyramid vs parallel) in the final analysis. Most efficient design?  Greatest cast?  This test has got me to thinking about things for sure. Thanks for doing it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 07:24:14 pm »
This is a headscratcher for me, but I am thinking the uniform thickness and compression/tension properties of the plastic material lend a different result than would be had using yew, osage, vine maple, hazel, etc, with some crown on the back. I could be full of beans though. My late father used to tell me, "You're all wet, mister." He was always right.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:26 pm »
Thank you, Del.
My conclusion from your test is that for a  given homogenous material and thickness and constant thickness and shaped as a pyramid, the bending profile will be the same regardless of thickness. 
Also, though wood is not a homogenous material, a given species shares similar physical/strength characteristics and, therefore, a given wood species will exhibit similar results.
Have tension/compression stresses along the length of such a limb profile ( & other typical profiles) been measured?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 07:54:58 pm »
This is a headscratcher for me, but I am thinking the uniform thickness and compression/tension properties of the plastic material lend a different result than would be had using yew, osage, vine maple, hazel, etc, with some crown on the back. I could be full of beans though. My late father used to tell me, "You're all wet, mister." He was always right.

It is an assumption to think that the compression and tension properties are uniform/equal in the plastic used.

With wood the tension strength is something like 3 times greater than the compression strength in most cases. But the stretch and compression are about  the same--1 percent--before failure. We're flying blind for the most part, but whatever the strengths are, their ratio remains the same from end to end.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 02:49:38 am »

Nope - just the same as wood, steel, pasta.....

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 02:51:26 am »
Thank you, Del.
My conclusion from your test is that for a  given homogenous material and thickness and constant thickness and shaped as a pyramid, the bending profile will be the same regardless of thickness. 
Also, though wood is not a homogenous material, a given species shares similar physical/strength characteristics and, therefore, a given wood species will exhibit similar results.
Have tension/compression stresses along the length of such a limb profile ( & other typical profiles) been measured?

Nope - thickness determines bend.
Bending profile will be the same IF and only when the thickness is constant.

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 02:58:51 am »
I recently had an order for 'holmguaard style' re-enactment bows. I had ten to make.
I first roughed out a pyramid bow from an already thicknessed piece of ash.
Roughed out a pyramid taper.
Then further narrower the outers to give them the holmguaard outer limb look.
Over to the belt sander and a few seconds on the working limb to make it thinner than the outers.
Bingo perfectly tillered bow that took an hour tops.

The real beauty of a pyramid is that tiller is SO easy to read that it allows you to stress the wood evenly. Wood that has been stressed evenly with no stiff/weak spots returns faster. So we get back to what Hickmann said in Archery - The Technical Side.
I haven't made a true pyramid in years but this thread has reawakened the urge!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:44 am »
Cheers guys.
I may just run up a quick 2" parallel strip of polycarbonate just for comparison to complete the test.
Whadda mean obsessive? ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 03:14:01 am »
It will bend too much at the center.  >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Here's the parallel!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:06 am »
It will bend too much at the center.  >:D
Ah yes, but it's the quality of the bend...  ;)
Del
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:43:27 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:14 am »
OK, I DO want to say "I told you so!" And you, and you, and you for years.  If you can find my posts on "pyramid" bows you will find I have literally been saying this for many years and having it fall on deaf ears. Not only here but on the leatherwall too.

I have made only "pyramid" bows for a dozen years because they take less time to make and shoot as well as the best other designs.

OF COURSE, the design is not mine and not new. I came across it in Archery, the Technical Side a long time ago.

Thanks Del for posting the tests. I still urge everyone to try the test. You can make a single "limb" tapered to a point and make it out of plywood if you want or thin hickory or whatever. Clamp the big end  in a vice and flex the pointy end. Doing it yourself will make a true believer out of you.

This one was about five years ago.

Jim

I dont doubt that the design works, but for me personally, there is more to building bows than doing it quickly. I build bows that are aesthetically pleasing and for me the pyramid design is not. I like to see the thickness taper in the limbs, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:57:36 pm by missilemaster »
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 10:07:21 am »
Misslemaster, please modify your post to show where my quote ends. I do not want to be known as making bows for esthetic reasons--though the pyramid bow is much nicer looking in front  or back view than a flat bow, in my opinion.

Thanks

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:59 am »
What surprises me is how they both bend so much in the handle.
Thanks, Del. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!