Author Topic: Del's Pyramid Taper Test!  (Read 18870 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: Del's Pyramid Taper Test!
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2014, 05:28:34 am »
This is a cool thread, and one of the reasons I still lurk here.  I hope to get making again soon, perhaps a pyramid/eiffel tower bow  ;D
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline RyanY

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2014, 07:42:40 am »
I think this makes sense whether or not the taper is a straight line or slightly curved. I think the flaw comes in the practicality of it. I believe about all of the pyramid bows I see don't taper to a point but to a wider tip which means that the force on the limb is going to change. What we consider pyramid bows almost never act like a truly pyramid shaped limb and therefore are going to need some kind of taper to achieve that circular tiller. Considering that it isn't a truly pyramid shaped limb then that circular tiller is technically incorrect for the limb shape too for efficiency of mass distribution. Not sure how the tiller of an even thickness elongated trapezoid should be though.  :P

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2014, 10:24:43 am »
I think this makes sense whether or not the taper is a straight line or slightly curved. I think the flaw comes in the practicality of it. I believe about all of the pyramid bows I see don't taper to a point but to a wider tip which means that the force on the limb is going to change. What we consider pyramid bows almost never act like a truly pyramid shaped limb and therefore are going to need some kind of taper to achieve that circular tiller. Considering that it isn't a truly pyramid shaped limb then that circular tiller is technically incorrect for the limb shape too for efficiency of mass distribution. Not sure how the tiller of an even thickness elongated trapezoid should be though.  :P

This was covered way back in the thread. If the triangle is drawn to a point the tiller will be circular, but since that leaves no  room for nocks, you are correct that some taper somewhere is needed. I  usually end up tapering the belly of the outer limb as needed.

BUT, it is possible to draw the side lines to the point but stop cutting along them where they converge to the desired tip width. The tips are parallel from that point.  Then the whole limb bends but the tips bend a lot less, which is generally desirable to improve the string angle and return speed.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2014, 10:57:24 am »
  There is a lot to be said for pyramid bows. I don't make them much anymore but I have to say I feel they are one of the most consistently good performing designs we have with self bows. They may not be the absolute fastest but they perform in the upper ranges and they are also durable, and low in handshock.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2014, 11:50:31 am »
Just out of interest I could get anything to stick polycarbonate to polycarbonate especially as the tips were so slim >:(.
So I stuck a sliver of rubber strapping edge on, onto the tip with CA and sawed a little notch into the rubber on the band saw! :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Richard B

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2014, 01:17:46 pm »
I found the passage in "Mechanics of Pre Industrial Technology" by Cotterell and Kamminga, on bows was helpful in understanding pyramid bows. I think the relevant pages can be seen online on Google books.