Author Topic: 3rd Annual Moon Tree Gathering  (Read 111091 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 3rd Annual Moon Tree Gathering
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2015, 11:04:07 am »
I have a piece of 8" pvc we could use to flesh a hide on.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2015, 11:17:00 am »
I've tanned probably 20 deer hides.  Most turned out pretty well.  I've not really tried a "fur-on" tan yet.  I have bobcat in the freezer that's been there for 4 to 6 years.  I really need to do something with it.  Tanning a hide is pretty much a 3 week process with the last 8 or 10 days requiring daily attention at least twice a day.  I just have a hard time committing that much time into my schedule.

I, also, have a doe hide from this year, plus a boar skull and buck skull that need attention for a European mount.

What are you tanning, Greg?

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:53 am »
I have a piece of 8" pvc we could use to flesh a hide on.

I think 8" pvc would be great for fleshing.  I've used 4" pvc in the past.  It works well but you've got to move the hide a lot because of the narrow work surface.  I have 12" pvc pipe 3 foot long; it weighs about 30 pounds.  Actually, I have 4 of them.  Three are being used as deer feeders.

The trick is figuring out how to mount the pipes on a frame so you can create a work station.  I have one with 4" pvc built.  I'm not sure of it's condition.  I haven't used it in about 7 years.  I'll try to get out today, brush the snow off it and take some pictures.  I've been thinking that I need to redesign a fleshing bench.

There seems to a 100 different ways to tan a hide; from the chemical Tandy Leather kit, Tannery in a Box, to egg tanning to brain tanning to using tannin from tree bark.  I've done the Tannery in a Box most of the time.  But, I did an egg tanning on the last set of deer hides.  It worked pretty well, but I still need to smoke them and work them out more.  All in all, I have 8 to 10 deer hides in various stages of completion.  haha

Do we want to do a hide tanning clinic this Gathering?  I am far from being an expert, but we can give it a go if there's interest.  I bet Bill has some tanning experience, also, and maybe Joe??
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »
I have coyote and bobcats, plus a red fox and a coon that I made a novice attempt at. 
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2015, 01:45:16 pm »
Never tanned anything myself but I did have a buddy of mine pickled a coyote hide for me , turned out real good, and pretty soft for not breaking the fibers down.  Joe. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2015, 02:28:57 pm »
I've got a few skins to tan also.  I might bring a chipmunk hide to experiment with.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2015, 05:13:42 pm »
Ok, seems like we're going to attempt to tan some hides.  I have 3 or 4 deer hides that were salted and have been laying in the shed for years.  The mice love them.  haha.  They're probably on good for raw hide to convert to hide glew.  We'll de-hair those.  I have a hide or two that are in raw hide form that I can start the egg tanning.  Have 3 hides that were egg tanned but not worked (another egg bath and work them would be good for them).  I have a couple egg tanned hides that are pretty soft, that could stand a smokin'.

I will build another fleshing board other than the one shown in the picture below with 4" pvc and make a yoke for the 12" pvc.  I'll build a couple 8' by 8' racks for stretching and smoking the hides.

What you can bring are:
1. eggs if you're doing the egg tan method, or whatever tanning method you might be using.  That's is if you're far enough along with the process to be ready to tan a hide.  Basically, that means the hide has been de-hair if needed and fleshed.

2. Pickle buckets with lids.  These will be needed in the hair removal and tanning.

3. A hide scraping tool. 

4. A hand-held belt sander would be nice.  Mine stopped running.  I need to take it apart to see if I revive it again.

5.  Plenty of string to use in the hide stretching.

I'm sure I will think of something else we need.  Let hope for warmer weather. 

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2015, 07:10:40 pm »
I've got a fleshing blade I will bring and so so fleshing beam. I used the fleshing blade on my first stave :P  :o. Tanned some mink, muskrat and coons but haven't done it in years.

I'm bringing everything for breakfast casserole this year. Might not be as good as the dollar general buffet that Clint and I went and got.

Someone's going to have to bring a case of that skee or ale8 and pay you for it. Can't find it around here. Maybe Daniel will see this.

Probably bring one or two rocks to beat on.

Shotgun,shells and clays too!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:42 pm »
Great Tracy, It'll be good to have here who might actually know what they're doing with this tanning business.  :)
We have ale-8 around here.  It's actually made about 15 miles from the farm.  Ski is a little harder to come by, but I'll search for some.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:59 pm »
I picked up 50 unbroken clay targets at work the other day.  Somebody was doing a little shooting at one of our rural pump stations.  I made it home with about 44.  I'll pick up a full box to.  I can marinate some deer steaks if you have a grill I could borrow Dave.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 12:05:25 am »
Clint, sure we'll have a grill or two available.  Nice score on the clay pigeons.  I have over a half a box and will pick up another case.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:08 am »
Do you guys think that band saw blade material I brought last year would work for fleshing a hide?  If it will, I can bring some more.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 10:31:41 am »
I have a fleshing knife, but dont know how to use it. >:(
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »
I have a couple coon hides and an otter in the freezer, and a salted elk hide.  I've tanned with Liquitan before, it tanned stiff, because I didn't take the time to work the leather..

I have a fleshing knife and lots of experience skinning and fleshing if anyone needs fur handling advice...

I found a huge chunk of flint the other day, too big to pack... almost the size of a five gallon bucket..

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2015, 12:46:45 pm »
Great guys. You're going to laugh at my fleshing tool. 

Joe, I just knew you have some experience handling critter hides.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw