Author Topic: Question about 'cold' wood  (Read 2269 times)

Offline ajooter

Question about 'cold' wood
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:36:17 pm »
So I am keeping wood in my garage.  I imagine it gets down in the teens and even single digit's at times. I plan on getting a space heater so I can work on bows out there but it won't be running all the time only when I'm working on bows.  My question is should I bring the bows I'm gonna work on back inside to rehydate before doing any serious bending?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Question about 'cold' wood
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:39:28 pm »
I have a similar set up in my workshop.  Its only heated when I'm home and working on something.  I bring the bow inside the house at the end of the day when I'm done working on it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:54:50 pm »
Cold wood is harder to bend. I don't know how you would get around that when  working in a cold garage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:58:10 am »
I also have the same situation in my garage shop, but I figure a little common sense goes a long way.  My shop doesn't get below freezing unless the temps outside are in single digits or below zero.   I have a couple of space heaters to knock the chill off and I figure if my hands are comfortable then the wood is probably OK too.  After all, wood grows outside and is capable of doing fine in the cold and wind......whipping around and surviving except in the most extreme cases.  And, your bow must be able to survive bending when out hunting in the winter too, so I keep working as long as my hands aren't cold and stiff.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 01:06:46 am »
I wouldn't bring them inside , I see no reason. They will be just fine
I like osage

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:12:57 am »
I would be more concerned with the humidity.  You can get a temp/humidity meter at a hardware store.  Keep the wood where it is the driest.   Still, just because I'm ocd, I would not want to spend too much time at full draw with a frozen bow.
Its always humid where I am at.  I built a wood/glass case for my bows and staves.  Its like a big gun case.  Inside is the humidity sensor and a small $12 space heater.  With the heater off the meter usually shows 70-80% humidity or even pegs out.  On low, the heater will keep the case inside anywhere from 30-50%, and it helps heat the shop.

I regulate it depending on what i am doing.  Overall it keeps the moisture down on my wood, but I also regulate it to dry out bows that I just put finish on or maybe hideglue used in backings, stains, paint, whatever.   If I'm working a stave to tiller and I question its moisture content I will put it in the case between tiller sessions.
I really like the setup and I highly recommend it.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:25:49 am »
Thanks for all your two cents guys.  I'll see about getting a humidity meter and using some good old fashioned common sense.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:26 am »
I think keeping them in the same environment while working on them is good,, if the wood is a little green it can check in the winter if you bring inside where it is alot warmer,, the drastic change in temp wont effect a well cured bow, ,but a new one might not like it,, :)