Author Topic: skipping the long string  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: skipping the long string
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:11 am »
I quit using the long string for a while, but I've gone back to it now. I find its easier to keep set to a minimum when using the long string.  I typically take the most set getting a bow to brace because I'll rush it. The long string allows me to see any problems earlier and make sure the limbs are bending evenly.

But I don't use it for long. Once I get the limbs bending evenly at a reasonable tension I go right to either a low or full brace depending on the stave.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 10:13:23 am »
I use the long string and a Gizmo, makes life a lot easier. I am never in a hurry and like to go to the short string over poundage with minimal tillering "challenges".

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 10:28:24 am »
  If I am building a bow I am real familiar with, mid 60's in length, mid 50's in draw wieight with mild r/d I skip the long string. Most everything else I long string before I brace.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:31 am »
This is what I do on 'normal' staves (not excessive character):
very exact measurements width and thickness
> no floortiller
> long (as short as possible) string horizontally hooked in the vice allows quick corrections and looking on both limbs same way
> asap low brace
> brace
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 01:21:19 pm »
The long string is your friend. Less stress on the stave than when braced and it will tell you everything you need to know. I go to about 20 inch draw on the long string. It really helps with set but you need to know how it alters the limbs shape compared to actual brace.

When people say that they pull to "x" inches on the long string how are they measuring  that? Doesn't that depend on the length of the long string or are they going by twice the tip movement or some such?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 01:56:34 pm »
i like to use it,, I think it gets the wood used to bending,,,
especially if the bow is reflexed,,  I will put the bow on long string before bracing,,,even when it has been braced before
I really think it helps when making a heavy bow,, on lighter bows I can see you could skip,,
and I think it is real help with sinew bows,, really hard to tell what they are going to do first time braced
the long string gives you a hint :)
I think it helps increase the odds of not breaking a bow on first brace
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:23:07 pm by bradsmith2010 »

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 02:12:14 pm »
DC- My longstring is actually under tension once hooked on the nocks. It definitely isn't loose at all. Therefore the draw length is just as measurable as with say with a 1 inch brace or whatever.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 03:05:33 pm »
I use sash cord roughly 10" longer than the bow. Ball park.

Stretch the string. Mark it. Pull a certain amount. I pull to 10" eventually, not all at once,depending on the length of the stave, look for good limb movement and target weight  or 5# over. Then I string it. This puts the stave 15# over target.

I never pull the long string more than 5# over target,.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 04:47:33 pm »
I don't skip it, but I go to low brace early.  I use it to get there once floor tiller shows a good even flex on both limbs.  The long string just tells me the low brace will be even.

Yeah, me, too.  I am constantly shortening the string as I think the bow will take it.

Also, in lieu of floor tillering, I often put my foot on a step, place the handle against my knee, grab as far out as I can (I have a 73" wingspan) and just pull back like a rowing motion.  I can alt least tell when the stave is way, way too stiff, and when the inner limbs just start to bend.  And I can't pull back too far in that position, so the stave isn't stressed.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:54:35 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 04:50:39 pm »
"When people say that they pull to "x" inches on the long string how are they measuring  that? Doesn't that depend on the length of the long string or are they going by twice the tip movement or some such?
[/quote]

I always assumed they meant tip movement.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 04:56:32 pm »
10 in. of string movement. Not tip movement. At full draw with a strung bow the tips may move 3 inches at most. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!