Author Topic: first bow issues  (Read 2522 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
first bow issues
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:30:10 pm »
Hi All,

when tillering my hazel bow I needed to tiller-out a hinge which meant I ended up under the target weight by something in the order of 10lb - the bow pulls 15lb and I could do with a weight between 22 and 25.  I guess I have 3 options - back it, heat treat it or shorten it?   The young archer has indicated that he does not want the tips flipped and would rather not have the bow shorter than it is so I am favouring heat treating but guess that will not give me back the power I need? If that is the case then I am left with backing the bow, so what can I back it with - rawhide and sinew are not options at the current time. Also I will have to make a string, so although I made a crossbow string from linen once, I suppose Dacron would be the way forward? Can anybody recommend a simple way to make a string - it will be the first one I ever made, so no Flemish twists! Oh, one last thing, how DO you measure the length needed for a string?

Thanks for your patience,
Stuck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: first bow issues
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:51 pm »
I don't believe you are going to be able to make 25# using a stave with a 15# hinge in it. You can try heat treating some reflex into the bow and you might increase by 5# to start with. I'd say its time to start the next bow and use this one as a lesson.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:31:41 pm »
The hinge is all gone now and the tiller looks sweet to my untutored eye. If I can get 22 then that will be great, and 20 will be fine, particularly within the limits being set by my young apprentice  :)  As far as learning experiences go then using a wide range of techniques on this one is no bad thing?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:06:42 pm »
 +1 on Pat, Heat treat a slight amount of reflex and see what happens before you try and back the bow...Your results my surprise you though I'm not familiar with Hazel...
                                                                                                                      Don

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:17:36 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:13:28 pm »
In the  "How To's and Build Along section"  half eye has a string build that is simple, effective and fast...I recently made one from linen and worked great...
                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:01:33 pm »
Don't let the Flemish Twist scare you off. There's a million youtube videos on how to make them. It's not that hard.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:19:59 pm »
I have been making bows less than a year, and I can twist up a string in about 10 minutes. Good luck. Welcome to the addiction.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 08:32:36 pm »
what I would do is give him this one to practice with while I built the other
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 11:40:30 pm »
ok you only need 7 pounds,,
heat treat and see what she does
then maybe take off one inch on each end and dont tell the young archer :)