Author Topic: Bow Stored in Sub Zero Temps - Ruined?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Greebe

Bow Stored in Sub Zero Temps - Ruined?
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:27:18 pm »
Hey guys,

I built a pyramid bow last year out of a red oak board and unfortunately it has been left in storage since this summer as I have been traveling.  I am going to get it out today, but I am concerned that I might have ruined it as it has been pretty cold up here in northern Minnesota. It was -13F a few days ago and I am afraid that the bow will have lost too much moisture due to the cold.

Did I ruin this bow? Are the limbs going to snap off and hurt me? Shall I stick it in the wood stove and at least get a little heat out of it? >:D

Let me know what you guys think. I want to get some advice before trying to string it.

Thanks
Greebe

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Bow Stored in Sub Zero Temps - Ruined?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »
 Leave it in the house a couple days and allow the RH to level things out if your concerned...Should be OK
                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:34:41 pm »
I would put it inside for a week or so and then try it. Wood absorbs and gives off moisture constantly so let it moisten back up a bit.

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:35:23 pm »
Leave it inside for a couple WEEKS and let it equalize. Here's a chart to help you figure out what the moisture content will be once it's settled in to its new environment.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »
With outside temperatures of -13F, chances are the inside humidity will be exceptionally low. You should put it inside, but not for the cold to be removed. The wood needs to gain moisture again, which may be impossible in a heated house at 20% rel. humidty.
Temperature or humidty alone do not destroy bows. It only makes the wood brittle, and more likely to break when the bow is drawn. Use a humidity meter and thermometer to calculate the EMC of the wood in its surroundings. Let is acclimatize for a few weeks until it has reached a proper EMC of around 8-10%.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 07:22:49 pm »
Unless I missed it, you haven't told us what wood it is made of. If it's hickory you it's probably better for the experience.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Drewster

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:36 pm »
Red oak.......first sentence.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »
The cold wont affect the bow, but when it gets that cold the RH is way down, that is what may damage the bow.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:44:21 pm »
 Makes it susceptible to damage, does not actually damage it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 03:42:47 am »
I agree with the above but cold does make most things more brittle as well.
Buy a humidity meter.  :D

Offline Greebe

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 04:24:14 pm »
Thanks all for the replies. I got the bow last night and it is sitting under the bed right now. I will let it rest there for a few weeks. However as DarkSoul mentioned, I am not sure that being in the house is going to do much to let it absorb the humidity as once winter sets in in the north most of the humidity starts leaving the air.

Also what is an EMC? I am not familiar with that term. Something moisture content? :o

Will the bow reabsorb the right amount of moisture once spring comes around again? The reason I ask is because last year it stayed below -30F for over a month. That makes your house bone dry even when you try using a humidifier.

I would like to shoot this bow some this winter for small game, but I also do not want to break it.

Thanks,
Greebe

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 05:26:01 pm »
You could put it in a plastic bag with a glass of water for a few days.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:30 pm »
the plastic bag sounds good. .. almost like a reverse heat box,,,maybe just a damp rag in the bag with the bow for a day or two,, I live in high desert,and humidity is low and very low when heat is on,, but my bows are fine,,,

Offline Drewster

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
Greebe, EMC = equilibrium moisture content.  The moisture content of any wood will equalize to the environment where it is located if given enough time.  The bathroom typically has the highest MC of any room in a home......particularly in the winter.  You might want to think about hanging the bow in a bathroom for a while.  You can get a thermometer/hygrometer from a Lowes or Home Depot for about $10.00.  I have several around the house and can monitor the MC is different parts of the house.

Also, if you have a kitchen scale or some other scale that will weigh in grams, weigh your bow now and every week or so.  When the MC equalizes, the weight will stop increasing......or decreasing as the environment dictates.  Using the chart provided in the above post, you can monitor your progress.  You'll probably want red oak above 10% MC.

Drew
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 11:37:32 pm »
According to Tim Baker in the TBB IV, colder wood is stiffer, independently of MC. If it's stiffer AND lower MC, it will be quite stiff and brittle.
I dealt with this a lot in Fairbanks, and I dried out woods too fast in my shop, ruining several yew staves.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying