Author Topic: Feedback on bow design/blueprint  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Feedback on bow design/blueprint
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 08:53:44 am »
If it is good Osage you could probably go 1 1/2 at fads maybe 1 5/8 and could narrow a little later if you need to. / 1 1/2 fads /4 inch handle and get what you want out of 32 inch draw, I would leave it 72 long if it was me for that draw. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 11:05:22 am »
Well I am glad that I sent you a 72" stave. I did not realize that you had that long of a draw length. I think with that kind of stave length that you can easily go with 2" fades for astethics as well as keeping it from bending too much in the fades. I look forward to seeing how this turn out. I did not know what Badger said about width to depth ratio on pyramid tips but I would trust the source for sure. I will keep that in mind on my next pyramid.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline dueb

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 11:15:59 am »
It's all good Dan! If it were any shorter I would've simply made it for a friend. The only thing I need out of this stave is knowledge and experience. However, I think this one has a good chance of bending out to 32!
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 11:36:44 am »
I am by no means an expert like some of the fellows that have commented. I did get burned with some short fades, though. I think longer fades are more than an aesthetic necessity. Please look over this topic --  Older Bow, can you help me bring it back?

« on: January 09, 2015, 12:49:50 pm »

Jess

Offline dueb

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 11:39:29 am »
After this thread I am definitely going to make the fades longer. 2" at the shortest, might even change my mind and go with 3" fades...
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 03:20:16 pm »
Just hope I helped, brother! I'm w/o bow until I can make one. I don't want your project to go awry on you, as well.

Jess

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 08:34:49 pm »
Justin. 2" is a good length. Not telling you what to do but it will look nice with 2".
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 11:25:58 pm »
Personally I go 1.5 -2 for the fades and seems to work well.  I prefer a pistol grip handle that leads the hand to the same and correct shooting position; but that's personal preference.  Good luck with it, share the results!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln