Author Topic: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?  (Read 72606 times)

Offline Jules

Re: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2015, 09:12:15 am »
On the matter of strings. I know the EWBS encourages the usage of natural strings in it's 'Welsh class' by simply adding a distance bonus (20 yards if i'm not mistaken) for people who use these strings. Not ideal I think, but just trowing it out there :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2015, 12:21:35 pm »
  Jules in the present broadhead class we have the modern longbows use modern strings and the primitive longbows use natural strings. The primtitive bows shoot 500 grain arrows and the modern bows shoot 550 grain arrows. It does tend to make them a bit more even.

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2015, 11:17:12 pm »
I found you guys! Sorry I don't have time to read through the thread tonight, but something to think about:

A real problem with flight archery is weighing in all of the classes. If I were to give some advice, it would be..... Don't have too many weight classes. It can kill the sport.

Find a simple, safe way of weighing in bows. A simple way of measuring distance. Simple is good.

Sorry again for the hit and run.

I'll be back.

Dan Perry

Offline Badger

« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2015, 11:33:22 pm »
  Dan, glad yu showed up. I think throwing in two additional weight classes wont be a big deal considering we are dropping all the modern classes and going primitive all the way here. I really like the 35# class, working with wood it opens up a lot of opportunities for design.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2015, 12:27:34 pm »
Good to see ya join in Dan !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2015, 11:19:10 pm »
Steve,

I likewise am partial to the 35# class, 35#, 50# and Unlimited were good choices I believe. Three weights, if there are going to be very manny bow classes may help.

I have been thinking of moving closer to work, to an area about an hour drive from the salt flats. The idea is like a magnet that tugs on the flight shooting iron in my blood. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2015, 01:03:56 am »
  Dan, one thing I like about a 70# class is that say a 60# bow could shoot 4 grains per pound at 240 grains. 240 grains is right in the area where the arrow mass is starting to resist the fletches better and also where stiffness becomes easier to obtain.

The only changes I would like to see are the addition of both 35# and somewhere around 70#, and also feather rests to be made legal. The feather rest would give us some advantage over the old records but it is natural and I feel should be fair. I don't have strong opinions on arrow length but would prefer to see them lowered. I wouldn't object to another 1 inch added to arrow rests either.

We will always be compared to the flight records of the 1940's, I would like to see us have a better shot at matching those.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2015, 09:50:17 am »
Steve
I think the 35 , 50, and unlimited are enough weight divisions.
That would take care of everything as I see it
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2015, 12:14:56 pm »
  Buckeye, I will obviously go with the majority but I see that 70# class as the real glamour glass of flight shooting. Once you start building arrows you will see what I mean. The fletches and arrow lengths are the same size for all classes so proportionately the lighter classes have a lot more drag on their arrows. At 70# you are just crossing into that area where you can get some nice stiffness on your arrows and still be light enough to pick up some good yardage. Right now I am shooting 56# bow in the unlimited classes against 100# plus bows, shooting against 70# would be a lot more competitive. Once you go above 70# I don't think the heavier bows have a huge advantage. I am not going to worry about it too much for our current orgaization but I plan to argue for it in the new organization.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2015, 02:30:25 pm »
Steve
I think I get what you are saying , remember when fiberglass arrows were going to be the big answer to all our problems with arrows HA HA
I don't see how the higher poundage will really make a big difference due to the arrow holding them back so why worry about classifying them
Its kinda like the wind issue thing wind can carry things along but arrows that are being blown don't fair so well so why stress over it ?

You folks know better than I so you choose
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2015, 05:38:20 pm »
  Look at it another way, all the other classes besides primitive use a 70# class, why not primitive?

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2015, 04:35:31 pm »
Steve, you make a good point.

Weighing in bows is my least favorite part of flight shooting. To me it is scary. if there was a good way to do it without an arrow, maybe I wouldn't be so leery of so manny weight classes.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2015, 08:25:23 pm »
I'm with you Steve.  Not a lot of people can shoot a 100# bow but many can shoot 70#.  Having everything over 50# as unlimited doesn't make much sense.  I would say a class around 70 or 80 lbs and then above that unlimited.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:33 am »
Well at least I sparked some input !
I am good with what ever you come up with,
Lets just getit rolling!!
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »
  Input is good, I think we are ready to start putting it all together and putting it on the web site. Trtying to figure if I am missing anything.

1. Rules,

2. Registration forms,

3. Protocal and instructions on how to run the shoot

4. How to qualify to become an official

5. Forming groups or clubs

6. Record keeping and posting results

7. Entry fees

8. Minimum recomeneded equipment a club should have.

I should have all this together within about 2 weeks and then we will need to go over it all one more time and make final changes, At this point we will open up the web site and be ready to start holding shoots. All forms and rules will be downloadbale but will need to be translated depending on what language will apply. I think the U.S.  is about the only country that doesn't use metric so we might should switch to metric or use both equivalents.