Author Topic: Trilogy Bow Part 1  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Trilogy Bow Part 1
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:18:09 pm »
At the last Central Texas  get together Ink (Jason) had brought some wood to give away.  He brought Elm, and Osage.  In the last moments before everybody left  Tower , Thunder and I took a look at the wood pile and saw a small 6in diameter by 57" long winged elm log laying on the ground. It had a 90 degree twist and a knot in the middle. We split the log and we each took a stave.  The three of us made a deal that we would each have a bow by the next Yegua Bow Bust in the spring.  That's why it is the trilogy bow.  There should be two more to come.or at least two more pics of broken bows >:D Hopefully not though.   As i started the bow I noticed early set happening so I heat treated the belly and untwisted the thing.  It took three heatings.  But the damage was already done.  Knowing that the bow was going to have 2 in of set I sped up the process and did a quick sand,stain and handle wrap.  I added the turkey beard tuft.  It is not my best bow by far, but it is a cool story and it does shoot an arrow hard enough to kill a deer.  57" long 50@27.  2" to mid limb and tapering to 1/2".  It has a single side notch on the bottom limb.  I could have scraped the upper mid limb some more also.  Oh well mines done and I get to watch and wait for the other two.       

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Trilogy Bow Part 1
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »
Here is the honesty in the whole deal :o

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:50 pm »
Cool man. Cool!

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:08:20 pm »
90 deg. twist is significant – good job getting it straight. Can you post a picture of the back profile? All my winged elm is covered with branches – hard to get a clean edge from end-to-end.

Where is the Central Texas get together, and when? I’ve never heard of it, and I’m 60 mi. north of Bryan.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:33:46 pm »
The back was clean.  It might have had 80-90 degree.  I didn't really measure.  But each limb seemed to twist about 40-45 degree opposite of each other.    The bow bust is on the event forum.  It's at lake Summerville in Texas.  The next one should be around April, or May.   Everybody's welcome! Even if your just passing through Texas.  I live in College Station.