Author Topic: Rings  (Read 2414 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Rings
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:21:22 am »
What's the pricing (trade value) on thumb rings?  I'd like a nice one to start learning with and if I like it then I'll commit to making my own.  Anyone help me out?

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Re: Rings
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:56:45 am »
depends on what they're made of, some are more valuable than others, depends on the material. I've seen a lot of them made from everything from silver spoons to pool balls, but the one I use regularly is made of cattle bone. I have a few spares, actually. if you would like, I can send you one. PM me your address, and I'll send it out when I drop off my next Etsy order at the post office (monday or wednesday next week).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:11:52 am by twilightandmist »
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:58:18 pm »
I have one made out of a water Buff horn, they will eventually break. Another James Parker made me out of a Billiard ball which will out live me. One metal one an Engineer brought me back from Nepal that sucks to use, and a leather one that I use a lot.

But, no matter what you use it needs to fit REAL good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:38:47 pm »
How do I size one?

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:35:41 am »
mostly comes with experience, and knowing the diameter of your thumb. for me it was a lot like bows, just exploring the possibilities and figuring out what i liked and didnt like gave me a much better picture of what i liked than what people told me to try. my personal favorite when it comes to thumb rings is a buffalo bone one given to me by my soon-to-be father in law, I dont use it very often, on account of it's significance to me, but a close analog is my cattle bone one. though it will eventually wear out, i also use a horn one from time to time, as i find it has a fantastic release, but as it was earlier stated horn will wear out over time. it makes me wonder how something like lucite would hold up as a thumb ring, i'd imagine it would perform quite well.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.