Author Topic: Where did your family come from?  (Read 23917 times)

Offline Renacs

Re: Where did your family come from?
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 08:43:10 pm »
Hungarian from my father's side. My great grandmother spoke Hungarian. And my mother's side cherokee and ? Was there last name. And some French from my grandmother on my father's side. They have a crest and stuff, but nobody likes the French. ::)

Offline sleek

Re: Where did your family come from?
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2015, 11:42:08 pm »
I'm kinda like Mr. Drums. German on one side and German on the other....
Yep, if the sexes were right, that would produce a "German"  Deutchlander.    My family on my Dad's side came from England, in the Wooten Underedge area.  One of my distant relatives on my Dad's side did quite a bit of research, and found we were there in 1500's, and evidence of Kimberly's being there long before that time, but the spelling was different.  They used an "E" between the "L" and "Y".  Could have been the same bunch, as it was common for one reason or another to change the spelling of ones name.  "Oh, no, your looking for the one with the E in the name, you have the wrong one, officer.
Anyway, one Thomas Kimberly was captain of the queens guard.  He emigrated to America and was the first settler in Connecticut.  I can't remember the city,or town, but there is supposed to be an OLD bible, listing Kimberly's as the first settlers in Connecticut.  Anyway, they were very affluent, with lots of land, cattle, and horses.  According to a will, the Father gave almost all the land, and live stock, to his Daughter, and only a small amount of land, and livestock to the Son, which describes what a misfit the Son must have been, as that was seldom done, normally all the inheritance went to the first Son, and the Daughter would receive a dowry, and was expected to marry, and let her husband take care of her.  After Connecticut, the Kimberly's moved to Texas, and then to Georgia, and down hill.  I asked my Dad, what happened to the prosperity of the Family, and  he said "Women and Booze"!  OK Dad, but what did they waste the money on? ::) ;D  Any who, my Father's Grandmother was full Cherokee.  He said she was the ugliest woman he had ever seen.  Smoked a corn cob pipe.  My Dad, and his brothers all had jet black hair, and even into his ninety's he had only a little grey, and a full head of hair..  Me, I look like a "Q" tip, with the center removed.  Comes from my Mother's side.  I have my Grandfathers elfin hair on my ears. My Uncles on my Dad's side had dark complexions.  My Dad was not so dark, but was never pale.  I don't know a lot about my Mother's ancestry.  But I do believe there were some "Injuns" hanging around the wood pile, as both my Grand father, and great grandfather, were both dark complexioned, and had the angular facial features.  I could see a Warbonnet on my Grandfather.
Don't know which tribe it would be though.  I believe my Mother's ancestors were either english, or Irish, as the name was Ward.  Might have been some German in there somewhere, as the Wards were definitely hard headed!  Oh, yeah, She was from Alabama.  Not sure of any other residences, except here in Florida.  Anyway, that is the tale of the rise and fall of the Kimberlys. ;), or Kimberley's.  Oh, one story goes, during war between the States, Thomas Kimberly, in Georgia, around the Macon, Eastman, or Cochran, area, or somewhere in that particular stretch of Ga. was a mason.  When the %$#%! Yankees, came through looting, they were taking anything and everything they wanted, and when the Lt. got to the bottom of a  hope chest, he found a book of Free Masonry, and put it back along with everything that was in the chest, and ordered the rest of the troops to return everything they took.  The %$#* Yankee Lt. was a Mason also.  They did take his old rifle though.  Which didn't stop ol Thomas from going out to his forge, and make another one, like the one they took! ;)
There was a relative in Jacksonville, that had an old powder horn, with a silver cup on a small chain attached to the top as she described the powder measure, but the horn was stolen, and later recovered, but the silver powder measure was missing.
I would love to see that horn.  Must have been before the decline of the Family. ::)

Wayne

That was actually a lot of fun to read.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others