Author Topic: Where did your family come from?  (Read 23952 times)

Offline missilemaster

Re: Where did your family come from?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 11:31:34 am »
Lots of German on my moms side with some Irish, Scottish and Welsh thrown in.

German, British and Cherokee on my dads side.  Apparently we are desendents of the Oliver Cromwell of England. 
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2015, 02:01:22 pm »
I have German and Norwegian on my mom's side and Norwegian and a bit of Dakota Sioux on my dad's side. I am mostly. Norwegian but I hate lutefisk. 

Mike

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 03:57:59 pm »
German on both sides. Both came families came over in early 1800's

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 04:06:57 pm »
My mother was suppose to be German as her family immigrated about the turn of the last century. I have a complete history going back several generations, all in Germany. The DNA test said differently, apparently the Goths that invaded Germany in the 4th century were a major part of my families DNA make-up, hence the Scandinavian component.

I had my DNA test through Ancestry.com, about a 100 bucks. You can spend a lot more at other places and get a more accurate complete breakdown.

I wanted to prove my NA heritage even though no tribes accept DNA as proof of ones NA percentage. Turned out I didn't have any percentage.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 05:57:22 pm »
Considering that my peeps have been adopting french and english children routinely for 350+ years, and considering inheriting traits are a coin toss in general,  I don't put much stock in DNA analysis.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Loope

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 09:45:24 pm »
Full-blooded American... though not indigenous;)  My family immigrated to the British colonies in America, from Germany (Hessian), Ireland, England, and supposedly Scotland.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 10:29:45 pm »
I'm a total mut.   ;D.  I think I have a little of everything in my blood

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 12:09:53 am »
Scots-Irish Cherokee on my Fathers side.  I dont know much about my Mothers side except 1 Great grandfather was from Ireland,the other from England  I think.

Hey me too, on my dads side. Then add Seminole on my mothers. Sir John Hawkins and Sir Francis Drake are direct ancestors.  Had family serve under the great general Robert E Lee, who in every generation,  we name a boy after him. My middle name being no exexception, first born usually.
   I tell people Scotts Irish Cherokee translates to  Dont give me any whiskey  :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 12:12:45 am »
Hehe, it does sound like a bad combo. But im more a brandy guy anyway.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DavidV

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2015, 12:17:18 am »
Quarter Italian, German, and French, bit of Irish and a mix of everything else. My Dad's side were Napoletano and immigrated to Chicago right before the depression... shady history too. My mom's side were German farmers in central MO, I look very german for having a very italian name.

Springfield, MO

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 07:19:10 am »
Dad's family, Swiss/ German, came over on the "Charming Nancy" in mid 1700's. The Hostetler massacre in Penn. was this family. His mom was full blooded Irish. Mom's family was German.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 09:30:44 am »
There sure seems to be a lot of Germans here. Simon is in good company!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 10:01:12 am »
German and proud of it all the way.   My great grandad landed at Galveston Texas.  Worked his way to Oklahoma where he made his first money pulling tree stumps with a team of horses to clear crop land.  I have heard many times from my Grandfather that Great Granddad was a good horse trainer and his team won him many jugs of whiskey.  Story goes that he would bet people that his two horses could pull a train car loaded with wheat.  Most horses would hit the end of the harness and not feel anything move but Great Granddad's horses would pull and keep pulling until the car would start moving.  Don't know how rare that really was but they say his horses kept him in whiskey about anytime he was around the rail yard.  Then he built up a farming operation slowly and at one time farmed in Texas and later sold out and bought some farm land in Kansas and here I am today.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2015, 11:07:29 am »
Mostly southern german with a pinch of Paiute, English, and Choctaw and a notable Comanche heritage.
I like free stuff.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:36 pm »
I'm kinda like Mr. Drums. German on one side and German on the other....