Author Topic: New guy saying Hello  (Read 15327 times)

Offline mhof86

Re: New guy saying Hello
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 01:23:18 pm »
600x400 works for me. I just resize in MS paint on the computer.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 01:45:02 pm »
Here it is
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Stringman

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:20 pm »
When you upload to PB it is automatically resized. Then just copy the URL a and paste in the body of your post.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »
Welcome in here!

Little Tiller advise:
THe right limb looks a little strange, you have two weak parts in there, but as one of the first bows, this a quite well ;)
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:50 pm »
Lookin good, you are stiff out of the fades, especially the right fade.  I would even it up and get the whole limb working before you move on.
Is it white wood?  Have you heat treated?

You are in the right spot near Tampa.  Mullet (Eddie) is in Lakeland and can help you a great deal when he is free.  There are many of us around your area.  Try to go to one of the knap-ins coming up in February!

Let me know if i can help you.

Stephen
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 03:16:21 pm »
Thanks guys. Ya the right limb seems to have a hinge at the very end right before the stiff tip. It is mulberry. I'm worried about my weight though cause I think I'm already under. The right limb is already weaker but I feel if I take too much off I will be way under and be so much weaker on that side

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 05:02:44 pm »
How long is the bow?  What # are you looking for?  You might be able to pike it a little and pick up some weight...
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:49 pm »
I got home from work and it was raining so I did some scraping. Let me know what yall  think. I think it looks a lot better but something is still off on the hinge. This is a low string I made one for it but it was braced to high I think. I am going to make a string now for it that I hope will fit. I made a string jig but I was looking at two different ones I know now. Moral of the story my numbers aren't what they are supposed to be.

Stringman

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »
It's looking better, do us a favor and try to clean up the background. The less clutter, the easier to see the bend. I still think you need to scrape the fade on the right a tad.. And the mids on the left look stiff. Also, definitely get a proper length string on it.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 11:38:14 am »
You are still flat immediately out of the handle on the right side.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 11:40:43 am »
I'm assuming that bow you are showing is the 68" mulberry.  At that length, you should be able to shorten the limbs, some.  Shortening the limbs an inch on each side could result in your picking up several #'s of weight.  If you have a heat gun or such you should heat treat the limbs a bit.  Give a little reflex...

P.s.  Very cool dog!
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 01:19:39 pm »
OK thanks a lot guys. I'm gonna work on that right fade when I get home and move all the stuff outta the background before the next picture. Yes it is a 68 mulberry. I plan on getting my tiller pretty much done then heating both limbs and see where I am poundage wise. Ya that's my yellow lab he trys to help me but usually doesn't turn out that way. He's a awesome and funny dog but you better never leave any food out he ate my whole sandwich yesterday in a sec and a ball of aluminum foil because it had bread crumbs inside it.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 02:54:42 pm »
Heat treating is generally best done before and during the tillering process to "pre-compress" the wood cells before they are compressed through the bending.  This helps to reduce some set.  Mulberry is good bow wood and not really considered "white" so it will do better without heat treating.  I'd still give it some heat and a little reflex to give it that extra...oomph and springiness.  Is your draw length much more than 28"?
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 04:30:16 pm »
OK so would it be to late for heat treating?yes I'm going for 28 in draw. The bow has 3 inches of deflex

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 09:30:13 pm »
Maybe just heat shape the limbs, just enough to get a slight reflex in them without scorching the belly or heating to deep. A caul would be good to form some reflex into it but if you don't have one made you could clamp the bow in a vise at the handle belly up and hang a little weight on each tip while you slowly heat the limbs till you get a little reflex in them. You should be able to remove some or all of the natural deflex without heating to the point of a color change appearing on the belly if you go slow and let the weight at the tips pull the deflex out.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.