Author Topic: Re: A challenge or firewood (finished 48/28; No. 57)  (Read 19009 times)

blackhawk

Re: A challenge or firewood
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:12:52 am »
I wouldn't call it a challenge...I'd call it a pain in the a$$  :laugh:  ...I've made bows out if worse  :P  ;)  :laugh:

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:59:40 am »
Wow... amazing challenge!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 01:43:15 pm »
Thanks for your faith in me! I really don't know how this experiment turns out.

Its going to be hard to sign the bow, "made my simson the masochist, April 2015", isn't it?   :-\

Honestly, it would be a lot of work, a real challenge, and something that might end up looking pretty wicked once you get it to a state that it is launching arrows.  You have to find out.   O:)

8)

Don't want to wait that long Steve. Either it come out as firewood or as a bow next week ...

1000 Quatloos on Simson!  ::)
Del
(For you youngsters.... a Quatloo is a currency used for gambling in an early Star Trek episode... circa 1968.
Captain Kirk is forced to fight like a gladiator and the Alien shouts "A 100 Quatloos on the newcomer!"
Aw shucks... it just ain't funny when you have to explain it   :-[  ;))

Hahaha
Captain Kirk: Scotty, please beam me up - there's no intelligent life here!!!!

I wouldn't call it a challenge...I'd call it a pain in the a$$  :laugh:  ...I've made bows out if worse  :P  ;)  :laugh:

Urgh, I can feel it ...

O.K.
I was in my shop. I steamed that baby and clamped it to a caul with additional help from the heatgun. Got most of the twist out, dogleg is out.
Tomorrrow evening I will steam in recurves and do side corrections. Hope it holds together, looks good so far ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »
I might have a go with my Osage stave... I just made some very pretty Yew firewood >:(  :-X
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 03:06:51 pm »
If you make that into a functioning bow (I think you have what it takes personally) you will be the dr. frankenstien of bowyers! Bring the creature to life!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 07:58:20 pm »
No way.  Impossible.  Can't be done.   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 08:06:50 am »
I can't wait to see what becomes of it.  I have faith in you Simon

Offline simson

Re: A challenge or firewood (finished 48/28; No. 57)
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 12:32:20 pm »
Well, I apologize. I’m a bit lazy with posting pics of the process, but you will get a lot of the finished bow.
And of course I was in my shop, here’s a short cut of steps I did:

Recurves are steamed in.
Unfortunately they were not in line, missing angle about 30°. Also need for string alignment correction. I did these corrections all in one heating session.

Added reflex with dry heat.

I will wait a few days before tillering till the stave gets some humidity back. Time to chase a ring, an additional ring at the levers allows cutting the stringnock in the back and making the levers narrow.

Two days pause

The holes are carefully worked out. Not much width to play only little side work with the drawknife, carefully watching the grain and trying to get a bit of a taper outwards.

back upper limb

belly

back lower limb

belly

Depth: the knotholes shows particularly high crown on the back, I hollowed out the belly to get even thickness. First more or less even thickness along the limbs, then a few scrapes to get some taper. The further tillering is done in the middle of the belly, resulting in concave furrow. The developing two ridges give more stability (very narrow snakey stave).This is not a HLD bow, the belly don’t flatten out when the bow is drawn. This is only a different way of tillering the depth taper for more stability (twisting) and matching more with deep valleys at the knotholes.

I had another problem. I got that thing to brace. While drawing (est. about 16”) I heard the ‘tic’. Immediately unbracing and examining the back and the belly brought no visible cracks or injuries. I braced it again, drew it again to 16” - nothing happened. Continued drawing out to about 20” and I heard the second ‘tic’. Now I saw two lengthwise cracks at the waist (lower limb).

Obviously here is too much twisting stress concentrated. Perhaps I have too much spin induced at that wavy grain area while the first untwisting phase and the wood / grain wants now go back in the original shape.

This is what I did:
Filled the crack with thin super glue, wrapped with a soaked strong linen yarn, and coated the wet wrapping with TBIII. She has got a nice corsage at her waist.

Next continued tillering, only a few scrapes more and I call it done. Tiller looks perhaps a bit ugly, I left some spots more or less stiff (knotholes).

The levers got a filed in string groove and a natural overlay (additional ring) for string nock on the back. That overlay is feathering out at the kink of the lever.

The handle turned out very narrow, only ¾ “. I glued on a riser block from a contrasting exotic wood called clavellin. For more comfort a piece of leather, thinned out at the edges, was added. I got the pattern on the leather by accident, I clamped the wet leather with textile  rubber band to the handle to get the form – that's was it. Always looking for new solutions, this handle fits super nice in my palm.

I gave it sharp steep fades to save length for bending portions.

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 12:38:42 pm »

Specs: 65” ntn,  48#/28”

Well, here is the bow … enjoy!

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 12:49:11 pm »
Haha, looks like it wasnt challenging that much.

Beautiful bow!
Where did you get the Osage from? Cause im from Bavaria too.... ;D
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 01:20:57 pm »
Of course you just made a gorgeous bow like that out of a piece of osage that most of us would have burned.  You are in a class of your own Simon.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 02:15:45 pm »
very nice thanks for sharing

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:55 pm »
Amazing! Really like the leather on the handle. What did you glue it on with?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 03:46:45 pm »
 you are an amazing bowyer! Every bow you post blows my freakin mind ! I don't know how to describe how beautiful that bow is but wow it's gorgeous!
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 04:05:18 pm »
Good looking bow Simon. I need to get after another static soon.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.