Author Topic: phragmites arrow build a long  (Read 13589 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: phragmites arrow build a long
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 11:35:13 pm »
Now learning how to straighten at nodes.  No glory yet.  Believe I'm gonna be glad that 4 dozen of these were harvested 'cause it may take 3 to get the knack.

I do know what you mean.  They can sure try your patience!

As far as fletching these goes, here's my favorite style. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32652.0.html

Thanks,
Josh

Offline dingas

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 08:34:47 am »
Thanks! One more question. What kind of spine range could be expected? Or could it be all over the map? Makes me wish I cut more than 6.... just wanted to try it out

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 09:16:20 am »
I don't have a spine tester, but I can tell you that for the most part they are remarkably stiff for their weight.  There is a a lot of variance from place to place though.  When I was using a lot of this stuff, I would only harvest it in two places.  East St. Louis Il and salt lake city.  This was because the phragmites in both places was near identical in properties.  I have cut some in other places like Sioux city IA  a few places in Michigan and Wisconsin and the material was to spindly.  Since this stuff is essentially a tapered shaft, you will find that it is not that finicky about the weight of the bows shooting it.  I would guess this arrow would spine 55 - 60 lbs.  However, with a heavy foreshaft and point to bring the weight of the arrow up,  the spine would be around 40-45 lbs.  But again, the taper of the shaft makes the arrow quite forgiving in regards to spine.  Josh

Offline dingas

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 08:36:41 am »
Good to know. They are an invasive species here in Ontario and I dont know what strain they might be or where they originated. But no one gets mad when you cut it! When first cut I thought they would be too soft but now dry they are quite hard and stiff

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »
good stuff.  I have several dozen of these drying in my shed right now.  Do you have issues pulling them out of targets without breaking them?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 02:04:12 am »
I can't recall ever breaking one pulling it out of an intended target.  Now missing the target and having the shaft glance off of trees will usually crush the sidewall and ruin the arrow.  The only other common problem is if the glue comes loose and you loose the nock insert and you don't notice, the string will rip into the back node and ruin the arrow.  All in all, they're no less durable than POC shafts in my experience.   I know that's not saying much.  There are definitely more durable shaft materials to be had than phragmites.  But it is a viable option.  Josh

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 05:39:00 pm »
Josh, where in Salt Lake did you get your Phragmites?  I harvested some from around Utah Lake and the vicinity.  I assume it is probably the same quality (thin) as what you found just north of me.  I cut it in late october just before the first frost, when it looked to be going dormant. It got probably as thick as it was going to get.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 07:28:07 pm »
I harvest it about a mile south of SLC international airport.  There's a tankwash there that has it growing out back.  As far as it being mature, if it wasn't it will have shriveled up within a couple days of cutting it.  Josh

Offline MichaelGago

phragmites arrow build a long
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 05:17:01 pm »
Postholer
  ...regarding the distance tracking feature.  I dont seem to get it work if I use the drop-down menu to select The Long Trail in the "Map"... Its fine if I launch it from the link here.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 12:59:46 am »
just made my first one, and I think it should work well. It is in the arrow section. Thanks for the HowTo--it was very helpful and saved me a ton of potential mistakes.  The Phragmites wasn't as hard to work with as I feared, and when it dried, even though it is thin, seems reasonably strong.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 11:05:07 am »
I just checked that out.  Glad to be of some help.  Josh