Author Topic: Classification Madness  (Read 2082 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Classification Madness
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:07:26 pm »
Recently I've seen a PVC bow called a "norse bow", a laminate recurve called a "longbow", the same bow also called a "plains bow", my pyramid board flat bow has been called a "longbow", bamboo backed hickory called a "selfbow" and on and on and on.  Is there any method to this madness?

Offline JonW

Re: Classification Madness
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 01:14:19 pm »
I only use distinctions when trying to do a historical replication. It matters a lot to some to some not much.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:19:04 pm »
And I mean how long does a bow have to be to be a longbow?  I made an "english long bow" yew bow with horn nocks, but its 63".  63" isnt what I'd call long, even though it is ELB style

???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:41:13 pm »
Bows used to be designated either longbows or recurves. I guess any bow that has straight tips would be considered a longbow. If the string touches the limb below the string nock it would be considered a recurve.
 A bamboo backed anything would be a backed bow but it can be a longbow or recurve. An ELB style longbow would be longer but a shorter version would still be considered a long bow, just not an ELB.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC