Author Topic: arrow length vs arrow spine  (Read 4040 times)

Offline carpenter374

arrow length vs arrow spine
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:41:47 am »
Hey all. i was thinking about arrow length and arrowhead weight vs arrow spine. i thought it might be feasable to adjust the length of arrows to make them spine heavier with a shorter arrow or lighter with a longer arrow and/or heavier point. i tried it and it seems to work. i used 10 ramin wood dowels and glued home made tips on. i left the arrows longer at first and adjusted them all until they all shot consistently. i ended up with 9 the same length and the other a half inch longer. one arrow has 125 grain point the rest are 145.
they all consistency match well. just an idea vs throwing away good shafts that dont spine the same as what you shoot. let me know what you guys think. 
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: arrow length vs arrow spine
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:32 am »
Arrow spine is calculated by deflection of 28" arrow. It is well known that adding 1 inch will decrease spine by about 5# and subtracting 1" will increase by about 5#.  A 31" arrow that reads 55# on a spine tester would have an effective spine around 40#.  Also adding the weight up front to the tip will decrease the spine.  Justin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:28:30 pm by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:40:09 am »
Justin did you mean subtracting 1" will increase by about 5#'s  ???
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:31:05 pm »
Justin did you mean subtracting 1" will increase by about 5#'s  ???
Of course I did, isn't that what you thought when you read it.  ;D If that is the worst mistake I make today Ill be a happy man.  ;) Thanks for fixing me before I really confused somebody. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah