Author Topic: Will these make arrows?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline jesswprater

Will these make arrows?
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:22:54 pm »
I was wondering if you guys think these sticks would make arrows? The bottom 6 are some kind of locust, black or sweet I couldn't tell you. I have heard that black locust makes good arrows. The top 2 are some kind of sapling tree. If you think they can be straightened I think I need to; glue the ends, wrap in a straight bundle and hang with wind and without Sun? Here is a photo of them with and without the thorns.

Jess

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Will these make arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:57:01 pm »
I say the thorny ones are honey locust,and they should make decent arrows
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »
Are these from a tree or a shrub?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:38:43 pm »
I think I would look for better stuff. You can make arrows out of it but it would be more productive to start with better sticks. And if that's a yardstick I think they're a little thick.

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:05:00 pm »
Pat B they are volunteer saplings trying to take over our pasture, but are not connected to any cut stump. It is just how these damn things start. I usually brush hog them, but then you may have to repair a flat on a tire with antifreeze in them. That is a terrible job.
Auggie, you are probably right. I don't know how to tell the difference though.
DC, that was the question I didn't ask. I have never straightened them before and didn't know how much work I was getting in to. That is a yardstick. They are a bit thick. I will look for straighter thinner saplings.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:47:32 pm »
Do you have Bradford pears around there? The ones on the bottom look like the nasty thorned seedling offspring from what was supposed to be a sterile tree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:12:25 pm »
I'd look on..

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »
  Yeah, they look a little kinky to me at the thorns.  To my eye they look for all the world like thorn apple opr hawthorn instead of locust, tho bradford pear is a good thought.

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »
Thanks, Springbuck! I've never done this before so, it's hard to get a feel for what I can use for arrows. I'm pretty sure it is some type of locust. I see the trees from them when they get big and really hairy.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 09:49:24 pm »
Go to Youtube and search for Allergic Hobbit. In amongst all the knapping videos there are a couple or three arrow making vids. Good stuff. He posts on here as Jackcrafty