Author Topic: Knot in osage  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Newbreedarcher

Knot in osage
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:57 pm »
I have a knot that is about 1.5" out from handle fade. Not too sure what to do with it, so I posted this video. Any advice is appreciated greatly!
http://youtu.be/Ze46HI3ylN0

Nick

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Knot in osage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »
I would leave all the wood that you can around that knot.  I wouldn't remove any more wood around it.  I haven't had an opportunity to work with osage yet but I have made several bows out of other wood with knots similar to that one and all worked by leaving enough wood around it.

Good luck.  Mike

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:04 pm »
Leave it the way you have it following grain proud to the outside like you have. I have 1 that is very similar but about 8 inches from the string nock.if the knot is tight you should be fine. If there is any voids between the knot and surrounding wood, fill with super glue to fill any voids.

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:24:26 pm »
Awesome! Thanks guys, I'll leave the knot in place. One more question. What should I seal the back of the bow with? It still needs to dry for a while. I am planning on sinew backing  it this summer. I was wondering what to use that I can easily remove so the hide glue will adhere to the bow and that won't be too hard to remove that I violate a the ring I have established. Thanks!

Nick.

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:41:41 am »
So, I did a keyword search while I was awake with my three week old daughter at 3 am  :'( . I have decided that I will use de-waxed shellac. From everything I've read, it is a great product that is easily removed. Thanks again everyone!

Nick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:11:21 am »
I use Bulls Eye spray shellac and have used it for years. I keep a can on my work bench all the time. You should be able to find it anywhere you get painting supplies. It is a little expensive(about$8) but has an unlimited shelf life and is very convenient...and it comes off easily when and if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:53:09 pm »
i agree leave it and wide,, when you tiller,, make sure and leave that area a little stiff,,, not alot of bend coming out of the fades,, I really think it will be fine :)

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 07:39:10 pm »
Thanks again, everyone I have put up another vid. I am concerned about the back of the bow.http://youtu.be/Ze46HI3ylN0

Nick.

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 07:44:29 pm »
If you are gonna sinew, use hide glue to seal the back. Easy Peasy.

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 07:49:04 pm »
Crap, I already use the shellac. Hope I didn't ruin my plans :-\

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »
just remove the shellac with whatever removes that stuff,, then clean the back as you would normally to apply the sinew,, you will need to take the design in consideration for the sinew bow,, they usually need to be a bit shorter and reflexed to perform well,,,  :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:00:13 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:13:36 pm »
It's 64" as it stands now. I am going to reflex the static tips and string it backwards when I sinew it. I have a 29.5" draw, that's why I went for 64". You think osage can handle that length in a shorter bow? It's a molle esq design. Working limbs are 17" .

Nick

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 08:17:58 pm »
http://youtu.be/ZU3oDYgBKRM That should be the correct video.

Nick