Author Topic: Cats, rats, mongoose and chickens  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Will Tell

Cats, rats, mongoose and chickens
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:17:05 am »
Just got back from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. Took tours on all the four Islands and always am interested in the plants and animals. Didn't see any Pigs, Sheep or Goats but did see a few Mongoose, feral cats and wild chickens. The locals tell me they have a rat problem but they climb and stay in trees during the day. They brought the mongoose in to kill the rats but they hunt in the daytime and the rats are nocturnal. They killed most of the wild birds.

One of the islands main crop was corn. They have so many wild chickens they had to hire people to sit all day in the fields and chase chickens away so they didn't eat the seed corn. They cover the fields with plastic now to keep the chickens away.

I was surprised how rough the mountains were, I'd say about half of the islands couldn't be traveled by foot and impossible to hunt unless dropped of by helicopter. Funny but half of the island would be wet getting up to 400 inches of rain a year and the other half of the island would be dry. The wet side would be like a tropical jungle and the dry side would hardly have any trees or plants.

Spent 10 days at sea and traveled about 6000 miles and in the ten days only saw one other ship and didn't see one airplane flying over.

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Cats, rats, mongoose and chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:44:14 am »
Sounds like quite an adventure.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin