Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 49829 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »
Good read folks !
Thanks
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Roy

« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »
Ya all can bet ole pearly will be sending in ah truck load:)

Offline Gaur

« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:58 am »
Did you recently take out a nice life insurance policy for your wife as well? :o

That was quite an explosion. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2015, 09:57:39 am »
I didn't Randy, but that's a great idea! :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2015, 10:58:20 am »
At least buy her a helmet and face guard...:)

Offline Jax666

« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2015, 07:33:22 am »
OH MY! I really wanted to build a deer hide backed ERC someday because it grows on my property and the locals may have used it. I love carving and whittling ERC, but I may just make walking stick out of it. 

Offline Roy

« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2015, 08:15:39 am »
You could make tooth picks like Pearl Dumb did:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2015, 08:56:22 am »
Jax this thread got out of hand from the start. After a few pages of replies it doesn't all get read and people jump to conclusions having not followed the entire thread. It was never about ERC's ability to make a bow in general. It was about an overbuilt unbacked piece blowing up into 8-9 pieces at 22", including shearing the handle in half. Go ahead an make one. Make it 1.25-.50 wide with a "D" cross section and very, very long with either rawhide or silk on it. Im sure it will  make a bow that way, most often. Just don't build a self bow and expect it to last long, some will, most wont. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2015, 05:42:40 pm »
I will add it to my list of to bows. Thanks Pear Drum.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2015, 10:07:44 pm »
I just read this entire thread and you guys crack me up. And Lordy I hope I never get on any of you guys good side like pearly obviuosly has. Poor dude getting all ate up by his buddies. I know its all in good fun and is a good laugh. I'm just glad its someone else and not me or I might have to develope a phobia or something. I have always wanted to make anERC bow but have not because of its reputation for violence. Guess we'll have to wait and see what Chris/Blackhawk comes up with. Also we may want to issue some OSHA approved safety gear prior to drawing the bow just in case.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2015, 10:53:10 pm »
I have heard a lot of people talk about only using this app would on that eastern red cedar otherwise it has to be backed by sinEw ... but ive never used it.  .... i do know this.  Pearl drums is a pro.  I been watching for at least a year now. So .... another thing is it was a good tiller cause it broke in so many different places . Ide say try a flatbow or pyramid design And sinew back it.  Usually cedar cypress and juniper are like ment for sinew . Sinew pulls the light wood arou.d to a reflex thats full of snap .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)