Author Topic: Smoke sticks  (Read 2482 times)

Offline bowsandroses

Smoke sticks
« on: February 08, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »
     This past year I reluctantly put down my bow on deer and went on a big family muzzle loader deer hunt with older brother and my in laws. My older brother works for the BLM and he is one of the big wigs of fire management so bow hunting is out of the question for him. We had a good time filled 7 of 9 tags and had a lot of fun. As we get older I see I need to change my ways and spend more quality time with my brother for we are now closer to the end than the beginning. This was only the second time we have hunted together since we were kids. I don't know a lot about this muzzle loading thing learned a lot over the last year had a lot of good times but would like to know a lot more and am wondering knowing some of you guys are into this what kind of good forums are out there something similar to this where a feller can get helped along a little. This year we are going for an Elk tag in one of my old stomping grounds. I am excited but would like to learn more about it and make my equipment a little more personal like my archery. I did by the way get a decent Bench leg real good blessing good eaten.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Smoke sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:02 pm »
Nice buck!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »
Ok now your just showing off :laugh: nice buck instead of a forum just find a bla kpowder club you'll get more help than you want :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:41:47 pm »
Get ya a flintlock and make your shooting bag, powder horn and all the extras. It's a journey that has been fun. Good Luck on the elk hunt. Wish I was going along with you on that one. I'll be in Colorado on an archery hunt.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:53:23 pm »
Bubby ya showing off maybe a little, thought some of you mint like to see the buck not just hear. I think that is fair advice guess I haven't give much thought to it.  nclonghunter I'm not sure how deep I want to get in to this, though I am working on an elk tine powder horn and the hide off that buck I plan to eventually turn in to a possible bag. As far as the hunt goes it is not till October mid to late probably time to make both, Oregon's not that far from Colorado and you'd be welcome in my camp. 

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:19 am »
Look up the American Longrifle Forum and the Muzzleloader Forum. Both are geared to building, collecting, shooting, hunting and history with muzzleloaders.

There are several of us on this site who build their own muzzleloaders. Building is taking it to the next step and pretty rewarding after you learn the ropes.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:43:48 pm »
Nice buck and Eric beat me to it. I like the smell of smoke as much as my bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:53:32 am »
     Osageoutlaw thanks by the way. Erick & Mullet I hear you I to like the smoke it seems obnoxious to some maybe that is why I like it. >:D For shooting I enjoy it far more than any of my modern rifles and far far more for hunting. And it is a far bigger challenge to hunt with than my modern rifles but not so much as my bow. Yes I do plan to build one or who knows how many God willing me the time. Either way I plan on many more hunts with it so the brother and I can hunt together. Thanks Erick for the info and Mullet for the compliment.

Hugh Ridenour

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 06:48:36 pm »
Nice story and deer. I love my 73 Hawken. If I had a place out back to shoot it, I would all the time. Its far and away my favorite rifle to carry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.