Author Topic: which side do you heat to straighten?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline willie

which side do you heat to straighten?
« on: April 15, 2016, 04:41:30 pm »
The title says it all. I have bent arrows by heating either side, in fact cane seems to straighten very well for me if I heat the compression side just a little bit.

I also see where some arrow woods need to be straightened over and over and over........

which side works best for keeping straight the longest?  Heating the out side or the inside?

thanks
willie

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: which side do you heat to straighten?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 06:38:18 pm »
I spin the shafts over my heat source until they are pliable. Then straighten and hold till they cool some. I do the same thing with cane except it doesn't take as much heat for me.
I think with wood the idea is to get the core warm that way the whole thing bends and I just don't stretch the outer fibers. Just my thoughts and how I do it. Someone might have a better explanation for you.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 07:22:43 pm »
Yup, this is what I had asked a while ago. I remember some source that said that it's best to heat some side over the other, but I don't remember which; tried to search for the source (google, bing, browser history etc) and couldn't find it...

thanks, i'll try the compression side (I assume inside = compression?)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:25:31 pm »
  You main  problem willie sounds like your trying to make arrow from unseasoned shoots. This is why your having trouble keeping your arrows straight.

You find out you have to straight one way. Meaning big in to little end or vice vera.Or you'll put the been's back in by reheating what you just took out. Get a heat gun where you can put the heat right area where you need it. Slow heat works much better than high heat on any wood.

I only use heat when I need to and that's very often. I get my shafts big and rasp through  most shot been's or knik's. The long beens I can work out with my fingers.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:40:37 am »
Heat the 'short' side...or the concave side of the arrow as heat expands which helps to 'straighten' that side by expansion.