Author Topic: Hickory Takedown Bow  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Gunnar

Hickory Takedown Bow
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:37:15 pm »
This is my first post on here. Thanks to some help from some other posts I was able to finally upload the pictures. This is a bow I made about 2 years ago. It's a static recurve hickory takedown 45#@26in. The reason I went with a takedown is because the section of wood I had wasn't long enough for a full length bow, so I just made 2 "half staves" out of it. I made the takedown portion out of an old guidon I acquired from the Air Force. It's very secure and doesn't wiggle at all. The hardest part about using threaded joint is aligning the handle, so it isn't crooked. I didn't have any horn at the time, so I went with the next best thing, which was brazilian rosewood. I'm thinking about backing the bow with either sinew or rawhide, because since I first made it the bow has developed a slight bend when unstrung. Any other ideas to mitigate this problem?
"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Gunnar

Re: Hickory Takedown Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:43:00 pm »
more pictures
"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Gunnar

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:43:55 pm »
full draw

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:22:49 pm »
You really nailed that handle! Well done!  I like the rest of the bow too    :D

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:31:19 pm »
Welcome and cool bow! How's it shoot?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:27:01 am »
There are two reasons I can see that caused your bow to take more set than you'd prefer. Its too short and the first 12" off your handle isnt bending, that forces that tiny area between there and where you tips start to flip to do all the work. Hickory will handle that and not break usually, but it will take crazy set.

I would be happy with it and start another a bit longer and a bit better tillered! Nice grip and t/d concept.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 07:38:55 am »
Welcome to PA
I hope you understand what Chris just told you because the part of this build that you understood when you did it was awesome and when you get the rest of this down you will be cranking out some Sweet stuff for sure!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:43:32 am »
Well done, a lot of thought and effort in that one.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:46:47 am »
What Chris said on the set, but still very nice work, love the handle splice. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:01:18 am »
Ditto What PD said.  Nice job all around otherwise.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gunnar

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 07:05:56 pm »
I understand. I enjoy constructive criticism, so thank you

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 07:43:35 pm »
What Pearl Drums said is right on the money. You done very well with this one for sure. That splice is killer too. 

For your next one try looking up a "tillering gizmo"  Eric Krewson  has a build along on here for it. It will help tones till you get your tillering eyes. Good luck and keep up the good work! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »
Gotta like takedowns nice to see some engineering work done.  Nice job.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell