Author Topic: Streched out Sudbury  (Read 11569 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Streched out Sudbury
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:51:18 pm »
Pignut Hickory
55# @ 28"
69" ntn

This is a stretched out Sudbury "sort of".  Sorry for the bad pictures, we're to get 8-10" of snow tonight, might get some better pictures tomorrow.  The cross section at the center of the bow is 3/4" square and fades in both width and thickness towards the mid limb which is 1 5/8" wide at the widest, then tapers to 1/4" tips.  After about 120 shots it still has 1" of reflex, started with about 2 1/4" before tillering. Back is trapped and belly lightly toasted.  Really enjoyed working with the fades.  Looks like at full draw, I got the fades bending almost to the handle.  It does have a little of hand shock.  Shooting 600+ gr arrows helps some.  I think the hand shock may be from the front profile, moving the widest part of the limb towards the tips, and thin no weight in the handle.  I would appreciate any comments on why there's more hand shock with this design than others.  Could it be my tiller?

Thanks for looking,
Till next time, 
DBar     
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Streched out Sudbury
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:57:48 pm »
Here is a couple more.....
The grip is built up with leather with jute wrap and a floppy rest.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:00:53 pm »
Nice looking bow Bill.  I like the front profile and stain job.  Full draw looks good to me. 

Good luck with the snow tomorrow.  We are going to get hammered to.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 09:02:56 pm »
Great looking bow there.  I have always love the look of this design.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 09:09:52 pm »
Great looking bow Bill.  Maybe one of these knowledgeable folks will have something to say about the handshock issue, but I bet it has nothing to do with the tiller on that bow.  That is a sweet bend.   I like the finish on it too.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:12:28 pm »
about the hand shock,, maybe the bow has more mass than needed for the poundage,, or is slightly overbuilt,,??? it is almost a bend in handle design,, and so maybe it could have been a bit shorter, ,or more whip tillered,,, ???

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »
Thanks OO....yea the snows comin....
Thanks Matt
Howard, appreciate the nice comments..
Brad,  Yes the bow is heavy in the hand, could be a bit over built,  You're probably right this design should have a stiff handle and be more whip tillered.....
This will give me some good practice on that shorty bend through handle I've been wanting to try.

Thanks again all,
DBar
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:33:10 pm by Danzn Bar »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 09:29:38 pm »
Beautiful stain job

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:30:52 pm »
well it looks great,, so no need to change it,, but I bet your design would work just a bit shorter,, even if it bends in the handle it should be fine,,

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 09:55:43 pm »
Bill, I like it. Tiller looks good. Maybe the shock your feeling can be neutralized by the way you hold it. I've found sometimes if I change the way I hold a particular bow it feels better on the loose. Just offering a thought.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:20:09 pm »
Not sure where your hand shock might be coming from but that bow looks real nice Bill. I get ones with shock sometimes that I just can't figure out whats causing it. :o  Really like your bow though, looks well made and something a little different than what I've seen from you before.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:33:22 pm »
Nice work Bill.

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 10:34:42 pm »
D Bar,
     That bow has a very sweet bend going on. I believe that the other fellas are correct in that it is too long for the draw length so your carrying more limb mass than you really need. I would leave as is though because it sure is a pretty thing.
     If you thin her out from midlimb out, you will loose some weight but also have to increase you draw length, so then you would need to pike it down....it's a catch 22. Did I mention how nice it looks....please leave her as is.
rich

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:16:39 pm »
Thanks Falcon
Thanks for the idea Danny I'll give it a try....
Danny and Rich, I'm going to leave it as is,  And try a shorter bend through handle bow.
Yea Greg,  Been wanting to do some different things this winter.
Thanks Jon

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 12:07:09 am »
  Those bows are hard to get the shock out of. Maybe could have been slightly stiffer in the handle area and slightly more bendy where it is wider. Tiller does look good as is though.