Author Topic: Cherokee-style black locust bows???  (Read 17017 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Cherokee-style black locust bows???
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:47:13 pm »
Hello, all:

I just finished chasing a ring on a well-seasoned 66" black locust stave--and, goodness, it took some time. Does anyone want to chime in on Cherokee-style bows? I would like to build a target/hunting bow in the 40#-to-45# range and around 60"-to-62" in length, but I am not too sure how to go about a somewhat traditional Cherokee design. Any recommended dimensions out there? I am also thinking about backing it with deer sinew just because I have never tried backing a bow with deer sinew. But that is just a first thought.

Last, because I know I will hunt with the bow, any thoughts on dying the bow with leather dye? Brands? Colors? I have stained hickory self bows before using wood stain but never a leather dye.

Thanks...
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Renacs

Re: Cherokee-style black locust bows???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:03:27 pm »
 if you chased a ring and have a good back i wouldn't mess with the sinew. and i would keep the bow as long a possible.  i also believe that most cherokee  bows were bend through the handle types'.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:11:53 pm »
The back looks excellent. It took more than a half a day of work. Thanks for the advice.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 06:18:10 pm »
Bendy handle and long enough to accommodate your draw length. Most Cherokee bows were Black Locust and kept the width for most of the limb tapering to Diamond shaped nocks.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »
Okay. Thanks.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 07:56:32 pm »
I've made a few of these bows. Simple D bows were what the Cherokee used. Not much taper on the tips but still fast good shooters. This is a good design for a first bow. As long as you are using all heartwood there is no need to back it. Locust is one of the best bow woods hands down for a fast bow. Locust is also weakest in compression so backing it if futile.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 07:58:33 pm »
bout 1 1/2 wide,,,,leather dye works nice and is easy to use,, black locust is beautiful any way,,

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 08:08:26 pm »
What Brad says about it's look. just don't put a shiny finish on it. Use grease and no deer will see it.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:38 pm »
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 12:14:24 am »
I used a paraffin finish on the last woodland style bow I made......per Dean Torges formula.  Works great.  Amazing how rain will bead up on it.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 12:52:46 am »
Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol. 2 gives a lot of information on Cherokee bows.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 03:10:52 am »
Here ya go. From the Encyclopedia of Native American Bows Arrows and Quivers

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 09:55:07 am »
All good advice from the guys above, save the sinew for another bow the locust won't need it. If you do decide to use leather dye I can say from experience that locust takes the dye nicely but you may want to dilute it some with alcohol to get the color you want and not cover the nice grain in the wood. Locust also looks nice without any added color, be sure to show us the finished bow. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 09:57:06 am »
Draw length? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 11:15:37 am »
Excellent. Thanks for the images too. So rectangular limbs and no handle section. I think I will shoot for the following dimensions: 62 inches (60 inches nock-to-nock) in length; around 1 3/8 inches wide at the center; around 7/8 inches wide at the nocks; and in the 40#-to-45# range at my draw length, which is 27 inches.

The grain on the back of the stave is real pretty, so maybe in the end I will change my mind about the dye job. I have read that "white bow wood" sticks out like a sore thumb in hunting situations (particularly in low light situations), but perhaps that is either personal preference or myth. I like an earlier suggestion of NOT putting a glossy finish on the bow, which makes sense.