Author Topic: About forshafting?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline beartail

About forshafting?
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:27 am »
was wondering. whats your procedure on forshafting. do you secure the forshaft or just insert it and go? I googled forshafts and hit images and seen some un-secured and some secured. seems it would be a little easyer if you secured them if you where only gonna target shoot but if you are gonna hunt just insert them. didn't most or all the abo tribes in north America just insert there shafts? what do you have to say about the whole thing?

Offline Thunder

Re: About forshafting?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:46:48 am »
Hey beartail,
I've made and use my fair share of foreshafted arrows (cane and phragmite).  If you're wanting to use foreshafted arrows for target shooting I recommend securing them (hide glue, tite bond), they tend to get stuck in the target. I normally dont glue them in but I only shoot foreshafted arrows at hay bails, and push them through the target so the foreshaft doesnt get stuck. I also like the option of changing my foreshafts from field points to trade points. For hunting, I wet (saliva works) the insert, it makes the wood swell and they stay in place nice and tight.
Just my opinion, good luck.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:00:10 am »
I think traditionally the foreshafts were just press fitted. When an animal was shot the arrow would fall out leaving the foreshaft and point to do more work as the animal ran off. The arrows were a lot of work so they would pick it up after the shot and replace the foreshaft and point with another and keep hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beartail

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »
yea.i read ishi used un secured forshafts.and as a foot note he made batches of 3 arrows at the time. and for a while after his discovery, he believed if an arrow didn't have "green " on it, it wouldn't hit the deer. cool.

Offline Blitzkrieg721

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:38 pm »
I have made both secured and unsecured..i personally like unsecured better for switching them out and storage and carrying them around..but if you are wanting to target shoot with them I would just make a few matches to your "hunters" and secure them..if not you will lose them and get annoyed having to search for them and put them back in all the time during practice..