Author Topic: how wide should my yew flat bow be ????  (Read 2014 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
how wide should my yew flat bow be ????
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:20 pm »
Im building a pacific yew flat bow 66" tip to tip ... its just now starting to floor tiller i am steam reflexing the tips as i write this . Right now its 2" wide at the widest point of the limbs.  But i want it to be a little skinnier.  So before tillering it i am asking for dimensions . I want a 50-55# @ 26" bow ... please help :)
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: how wide should my yew flat bow be ????
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:03:36 pm »
My "Twister" is 1 5/8" at the widest, slightly oval/pyramid profile. 64" long 47# @28"
I think you could go down to 1 1/2" with no prob. I'd try to avoid wasting too much working limb in a long stiff handle
Dunno if that helps.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
Re: how wide should my yew flat bow be ????
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »
My "Twister" is 1 5/8" at the widest, slightly oval/pyramid profile. 64" long 47# @28"
I think you could go down to 1 1/2" with no prob. I'd try to avoid wasting too much working limb in a long stiff handle
Dunno if that helps.
Del

Thanks del , cool yep im thinning it down then . And yea .. the handle is six inches thats fades included.  I dont like big handles ... and i am tring to make a really nice yew flatbow here.  I just steam bent the tips to a reflex and it worked very well. But one is bent more than the other :( lol I will probably get it a little closer to finished before I re- bend if I even do at all I have some deer antler I plan on putting on the tips and maybe a little piece of antler embedded into the arrow shelf but that will be later for now I am just trying to get the rough shape also it has some propeller twist on one end about one eighth of a turnso I've got to get that out also the tip pulls to the left a little bit so I've gotta hEat bend that out too... its a nice stave besides all that though.  Ill post some pics in a bit. Maybe on a new thread ...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:57:08 pm by rockrush69 »
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)